Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 4th September 2007, 03:26 AM   #1
stingray

Default What sail for 24-34 knots?

Hi there,

I was sailing last weekend in very gusty sideshore winds (24-35knots, maybe even more) in open sea using Evo 92 (25cm fin freestyle fin) and I was way overpowered on 5.0 Arrows Aerial (onshore wavesail).

I wonder what sailsize would you suggest for such winds for a 97kg rider?

I also experienced a bit of spinout problem and found a bit hard to get upwind (due to spinouts and evos tendency to gat air even on smallest raps) - is it normal for Evo when it is overpowered or might it be bad fin? Does evo respond well to being overpowered?

Brgds,
Ray
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 05:23 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Sail size is rather individual. If your 5.0 felt like too much but was reasonably manageable anyway, half a m2 smaller should probably be perfect. The EVO 92 is far from a "freerider" but has a kind of soft nature to it despite its size so it should handle strong wind OK at your weight. I suggest looking into a different fin. A big wave fin would work best since it wlll be softer and more forgiving in high wind and that will calm the board down a bit. It is also important to sort of stay on top of the board when you get really powered up. This will both help you keep the board down a bit and also help you get up wind even without a super big fin. you can also play a bit with boom height to see if that help - if nothing else, this can help you to get out of some old habits when it comes to stance.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 03:59 PM   #3
stingray

Hi Ola,

Thanks a lot for your reply! I will most likely by NS Voodoo 4.5 and I will also try to get a wave fin - I was thinking about something like Select X1 Wave 26.5cm. I will also pay attention to my stance but I believe I was sailing quite upright. I think it might be a fin problem. But also sailing with 5.0 in so much wind I was basically in a survival mode especially comming in.

Brgds,
Ray
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote