Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 1st October 2007, 10:43 PM   #1
Nick_66

Default Starboard Rio S 2008

Hello,

I have ordered the new Starboard Rio S 2008 board and I hope I made a good choice with this board to learn windsurfing on. I started with a F2 Hornet 144, but soon discovered that this board was to difficult for me so I decided to buy a bigger one. The Naish Kailua 180L. Instead of the Naish I now ordered the Rio S. I really hope this board is easy and stabel enough like the Naish. What I really like about the Rio is the fact that the footstraps have multiple positions and especially one near the mast. That will make windsurfing in the footstraps a lot easier in the beginning. I weigh about 83 kg and hope that the 175L is big enough for me.

Can you give me some more advise about this board?

Regards,

Nico
Nick_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Nico,
Hmmmm.... the Rio S at 175 liters does not seem (based on the volume) to be significantly smaller than the 180 liter Naish Kailua, but take a look at the widths.
Kailua is 85 cm wide..... Rio S is only 75.5 cm wide.
That's quite a difference for an 83 Kg.(183 lb.) sailor.
As far as the forward footstraps, I think you are going to be disappointed here.
For a fairly heavy sailor, on a fairly small board, standing forward on the board to get into the footstraps isn't going to get the nose of the board up high enough for the board to plane really easy and freely.
So, you can try the forward footstraps (be very careful if you use the ones way up by the mast foot as the footstrap can trap your toes as the mast comes crashing down on the footstrap perhaps resulting in a foot injury), but getting into the foot straps, before you are hooked into a harness where you can transfer your weight off your feet, really isn't going to give you the full meaning of what footstraps are all about.
If you have your full weight on your feet, you don't need footstraps.
When you have your full weight suspended from your rig, through the harness/harness lines/boom/ mast and are developing full mast foot pressure THEN you need footstraps.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Nick_66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Hi Nico,
Hmmmm.... the Rio S at 175 liters does not seem (based on the volume) to be significantly smaller than the 180 liter Naish Kailua, but take a look at the widths.
Kailua is 85 cm wide..... Rio S is only 75.5 cm wide.
That's quite a difference for an 83 Kg.(183 lb.) sailor.
As far as the forward footstraps, I think you are going to be disappointed here.
For a fairly heavy sailor, on a fairly small board, standing forward on the board to get into the footstraps isn't going to get the nose of the board up high enough for the board to plane really easy and freely.
So, you can try the forward footstraps (be very careful if you use the ones way up by the mast foot as the footstrap can trap your toes as the mast comes crashing down on the footstrap perhaps resulting in a foot injury), but getting into the foot straps, before you are hooked into a harness where you can transfer your weight off your feet, really isn't going to give you the full meaning of what footstraps are all about.
If you have your full weight on your feet, you don't need footstraps.
When you have your full weight suspended from your rig, through the harness/harness lines/boom/ mast and are developing full mast foot pressure THEN you need footstraps.
Hope this helps,
Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Do you think the Rio M was a better choice for me, or will I have the same problems with the footstraps with the Rio M?

Nico
Old 2nd October 2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Nico,
Whether or not the Rio M will be much better depends alot on how much wind you will be sailing in.
What sail sizes will you be using, and will the wind be 15 knots (7.7 meters/sec or Force 4 BFT) or more?
If you have more wind, and use smaller sails, then the Rio S could work, but if you have < 15 knots, most of the time, then the Rio M is probably going to be better.
The forward footstrap situation will be pretty much the same for all boards except older long boards.
I'm not saying the board will not plane...... it will, but it will take alot more time and wind to get planing, and won't be very fast compared to other similar boards with the sailor using the all the way back and outboard footstrap positions.
Unfortunately alot of sailors who are new to the footstraps seem to worry too much about getting into the straps and won't take the next step (well, actually a step that should happen at the same time) of getting hooked in and getting their weight off the board.
I know for me it feels really funny to be in the footstraps, but not hooked in. It seems that I almost always come out of the footstraps before or at the same time I unhook from the harness.
If you are already using a harness, then I suggest starting with the footstraps in the intermediate positions, then move them back as soon as possible.
What exactly to you expect that getting into the footstraps is going to do for you?
Are you bouncing off the board over large chop....?
Are you getting catapaulted over the front of the board alot...?
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 2nd October 2007 at 09:44 PM.
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 10:28 PM   #5
Nick_66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Hi Nico,
Whether or not the Rio M will be much better depends alot on how much wind you will be sailing in.
What sail sizes will you be using, and will the wind be 15 knots (7.7 meters/sec or Force 4 BFT) or more?
If you have more wind, and use smaller sails, then the Rio S could work, but if you have < 15 knots, most of the time, then the Rio M is probably going to be better.
The forward footstrap situation will be pretty much the same for all boards except older long boards.
I'm not saying the board will not plane...... it will, but it will take alot more time and wind to get planing, and won't be very fast compared to other similar boards with the sailor using the all the way back and outboard footstrap positions.
Unfortunately alot of sailors who are new to the footstraps seem to worry too much about getting into the straps and won't take the next step (well, actually a step that should happen at the same time) of getting hooked in and getting their weight off the board.
I know for me it feels really funny to be in the footstraps, but not hooked in. It seems that I almost always come out of the footstraps before or at the same time I unhook from the harness.
If you are already using a harness, then I suggest starting with the footstraps in the intermediate positions, then move them back as soon as possible.
What exactly to you expect that getting into the footstraps is going to do for you?
Are you bouncing off the board over large chop....?
Are you getting catapaulted over the front of the board alot...?
Hope this helps,
Hi,

Thanks for your very detailed reply. At the moment I own only one sail. 6.5

The spot where I go windsurfing, the wind is around 6 to 12 knots most of the time. I already ordered the Rio S and I really hope this board will be a good choice. I don't have any experience with the footstraps and harness.

When I use a bigger sail on the Rio S, will it be easier to get planing on this board with wind less then 15 knots?

I haven't been windsurfing in wind more then 4 bft so bouncing of the board is not the problem and once in a while I have been catapulted of the board.

Nico

Last edited by Nick_66; 2nd October 2007 at 10:36 PM.