Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 21st November 2007, 03:19 PM   #1
emil

Default Help: Deboichet SL1 or SL2

I need an advice about the Deboichet model fin. I'm in the process to buy one 46 cm but I received a message from Deboichet suggests me the SL1 instead the SL2. They say the SL1 is a little better in lighter wind because has more power. But how about the other performance (speed, upwind etc)?
Please really need help before to order.
Thanks
emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Emil,

Before to answer, I would like to know your sails and boards. As you know board have his favorite profil and fin.

Need also your weight and height.

All the best
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 12:22 AM   #3
emil

Well I'm not going to use a deboichet fin only in one board. I hope I can use a custom fin in a few different set. And it's not a question of sail size. I plan to get different size of fin like 46 cm, 42 cm and later some other.
My request is just related to the difference between the SL1 and SL2.
Hope someone has a knowledge about it, not just an opinion, to help me.
Old 26th November 2007, 02:29 PM   #4
emil

Well I can see not many windsurfers have a knowledge about the difference between the 2 model of Deboichet fins (SL1 and SL2). Or maybe the question is not so interesting in this forum (although when the time comes to buy a fin from Deboichet the question should arise). Plus some Drake fins are based on Deboichet design.
Anyway is there anyone who can at least post me some links where I can find some answers or discuss about this matter?
Thanks in advance for your time.
Emil
Old 26th November 2007, 06:27 PM   #5
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Emil,

The differents on iSonics is that the SL1 give more power and a bit more stiff, so a bit more difficult in choppy water, but this is for iSonics, I don't know for the other boards. For flat water it's good one, up wind particulary but until you get choppy water the SL2 it's better.

Personally I prefer the SL2 on iSonic who give you a better use overall.

All the best
Old 26th November 2007, 10:10 PM   #6
emil

Thanks for your quick answer. I'm sorry to bother you again but I'm a little confused about the SL1.
Here you wrote: "SL1 ...., so a bit more difficult in choppy water" than you said "until you get choppy water the SL2 it's better".
So, in choppy water, where I'm used to sail, is the SL1 or SL2 better?
Thank you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi View Post
Hi Emil,

The differents on iSonics is that the SL1 give more power and a bit more stiff, so a bit more difficult in choppy water, but this is for iSonics, I don't know for the other boards. For flat water it's good one, up wind particulary but until you get choppy water the SL2 it's better.

Personally I prefer the SL2 on iSonic who give you a better use overall.

All the best
Old 27th November 2007, 07:52 PM   #7
Koray

Hi Emil

SL 1 is for more control and early plan.SL2 is more faster but with less control. My opinion is SL2 fit better Isonics. The Drake's fins are based on the desing Deboichet SL2.

Hope This Helps
Koray
Koray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 10:49 PM   #8
Bodker

Hi Emil,

good information from the Deboichet team -

SLALOM FINS by Maynard Finian

The Deboichet slalom range consists of three fins, the SL1, SL2 and Upwind Slalom.

In order to make the decision easier, slalom boards are generally split between two different types. Each type has specific features and fin requirements which are important to optimize your sailing experience.

Low rocker boards ?

Fanatic, Starboard, Tabou, T1, RRD

Suggested fins ? SL2. UW

Reasons ? The SL2 and UW fins help lift the nose of the board up which increases the top-end speed capability of these brands. The SL2 has a free feeling and excellent acceleration. The UW is a good fin for difficult and choppy conditions whilst still having decent speed in flat water.

First recommendation from the team ? SL2
Bodker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 05:27 PM   #9
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Emil,

I confirm that the SL2 fit better the iSonics. For small size I go for SL3 28 to 34 and interest to know seems that more you ligth more you will like the SL3.

Morane 53 kgs for exemple prefer the SL3 until 38cm and after go for SL2.

All the best