Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 14th September 2007, 01:32 PM   #11
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
Davide
I see that you don't mind this thread (yours) has gone on a tangent.
No not at all!
Quote:
In my experience, lighter sailors will meet their "overpower" point much sooner.
That is obviously quite true, just look at the size of slalom/speed racers. Especially with the 8.0/52cm fin the ML can get out of hand if the wind pick ... more legs and abdominals help and I got used to this big stuff. I grew up sailing on a lake and I still love light wind sailing, there is nothing like planing in a wisp of wind, perfectly balanced, on a water surface with barely a ripple.

I do think that there are conditions, especially in high wind, when a light weight can carry a lot of sail. I am regularly out with my S52/5.6 when heavier people are on 4.2/4,5. I am very well balanced on the board in those conditions and overpowered really just means going faster ... Again, a heavyweight pro would be probably using a 7.0 no substitute for weight ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
As a aside about the ML, it's my experience that they don't disintegrate that easily, despite their notable light weight. My 1998 9'4" ML Course Slalom is still quite sound and going strong. However, I have to admit that its design is a bit outdated on the scheme of things, but I'm still quite fond of it.
I did not mean to sound negative about the Mike's Lab board. This particular one was build as a racing shell and it is a single carbon layer at the bottom. It has lasted quite a few many years all things considered and it is still going strong.

Quote:
Are there days in Bay area when your F2 252 is way too big for you?
There are days in the Bay area with a 30Kn+ at the north tower of the Golden Gate Bridge (right in the "dishwasher" area, where the tide is strongest). In those days at Candlestick can easily blow 10kn more ... time for a 3.2 and possibly something very small as a board. I used to have a fantastic Blair board that was just tiny tiny tiny. It was perfect at Crissy field with a 3.8 ... only problem is that it only worked in very (very!) powered up conditions and I got tired of it, it was not fun to try to waterstart in front of an approaching powerboat! .. I should have kept it as a crazy day board.

Congrats for the acid, I ordered mine too (2007 wood) and with a bit of luck I might be able to get it out before winter!

Last edited by davide; 20th September 2007 at 06:54 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 07:12 AM   #12
davide

Default Ouch! The Acid 74 2007 is a big one!

I got my Acid 74 Wood 2007 today and I took it out in really high wind conditions. The SFO airport was delaying flights due to a wind advisory with gusts up to 45 miles/hour!

When I went out it was blowing 30+ and well ... with a very overpowered 4.2 the Acid 74 felt large ... I am not sure if a 3.7 would have helped.

Maybe I just have to get used to it and conditions were way too hard for a board that was not even set up. Still ... I hope I will not end up regretting not having asked some info about the Acid 69: it might have been a better choice ... I'll post some updates, tomorrow is supposed to blow only 20 and it might be a good day to set up the board.

Last edited by davide; 20th September 2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 20th September 2007, 10:52 PM   #13
Ola_H
TEAM

I think you will get a better hang of the PA74 with some more time on it. Of course the PA68 would be better for mental days, but since you also wanted the board for mote "normal days" I still think the 74 is a better choice overall. You might wanna try a smaller fin for the mental days.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 11:41 PM   #14
davide

Default Chango 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_H View Post
I think you will get a better hang of the PA74 with some more time on it. Of course the PA68 would be better for mental days, but since you also wanted the board for mote "normal days" I still think the 74 is a better choice overall. You might wanna try a smaller fin for the mental days.
Well, after a few more times out I am inclined to consider the Acid 74 (2007) as a "mid wind" board. It is large with a large tail and for somebody my weight (68Kg/150pounds) I think the good range is really 4.2-5.5.

In that sail range I am not using the stock Drake Wave because it does not go upwind well enough for the Bay Area. I am using instead a Wardog Wave 9.0" http://www.surfingsports.com/images/wd_wave_90.jpg that is fast, maneuvrable, and works upwind very well. With this fin the Acid will serve great in B&J high/mid-winds ... (By the way, can somebody explain what is the rational of having such a small 8" finbox on the Acid? I hope it is not to save 50 grams of weight because it does limit adjustability with larger fins)

For high wind I now have a Angulo Chango (65 liters x 51 cm http://www.angulosurf.com/) that I was lucky enough (it is winter) to try out in a big northerly and works just great. It reminds me of my old Blair wavegun but with way bigger range that I estimate from 5.0 all the way to places where I do not dare to go. Construction seems excellent and it has the great touch of having double straps screws for an ultra solid and twist-proof connection.

As a general comment I am still convinced that large boards suffer in chop, they might work great in nice waves but at least for me they do not work as well in confused, high frequency chop conditions ... same, and especially so, for slalom: it is the main reason why I ordered a Carbon Art 52, instead of the Isonic 74, as my next mid/high-wind (down to overpowered 5.5) slalom board http://www.carbonart.co.nz/boards/slalom.php

Last edited by davide; 9th December 2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11th December 2007, 06:14 PM   #15
Jonathan

Hi Davide,
I'm about 70kg and have a 2007 PA74, I find it surprisingly floaty and quick to plane, also effortless at keeping upwind. It is only in NO wind that you realise it is only 74l. Great thing I have found is that with one foot in front of the mast it is very stable for shlogging (sp?)and an easy board to no wind gybe. I love it! I have sailed earlier Acid boards but this is much easier to sail IMO in both freeride mode and waves - I really believe it is a quantum improvement as an all round small board - if anything I find it feels big in really strong wind but still works fine. I have sailed both 2006 and 2007 PA80 in waves, my general impression is that both the 2007 80 and 74 plane at very similar wind strength (2006 quicker to plane and better for B+J) for our weight, the only advantage the 80 has is when there is no wind - very much outweighed by it being too big (but still fun) all the rest of the time. And just to confuse things the Evo 70 is also outstanding, but maybe a little different to what you are used too. FYI I've been sailing for many years but still class myself as an enthusiastic average to crap wavesailor! Good luck
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 06:27 PM   #16
Jonathan

Somehow when I started the response I didn't realise we were all on the next page! I think the Drake fins take a little getting used to, I started off using bigger fins but have gone back to the Drake, just seems to suit it so well. Certainly agree that it isn't a "small" board but it does have an incredible range and has turned out to be the board I use the most.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 10:15 PM   #17
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Hi Davide,
I'm about 70kg and have a 2007 PA74, I find it surprisingly floaty and quick to plane, also effortless at keeping upwind. It is only in NO wind that you realise it is only 74l. Great thing I have found is that with one foot in front of the mast it is very stable for shlogging (sp?)and an easy board to no wind gybe. I love it! I have sailed earlier Acid boards but this is much easier to sail IMO in both freeride mode and waves - I really believe it is a quantum improvement as an all round small board - if anything I find it feels big in really strong wind but still works fine.
Hi Jonathan,
We pretty much agree. The board is quick to plane and indeed putting the foot in front of the mast helps slogging since there is a lot of volume in that area. Conditions are very flacky in Oct-Dec in SF and I made it back to shore twice in barely-moving conditions: very neat! The upwind depends on the fin: the stock Drake is ok but is simply too small for the Bay area: we get easily up to 5Kn of tide here and the Drake has too small a surface area, especially near the base, to fight that. With a Dill or Wardog or similar fin upwind is no problem.

I have your same impression in the hi-wind: there is no free lunch and the board feels big because it is so: when you cross below 4.0/4.2 (think powered/overpowered 4.0-3.5) a dedicated small board works way better. Even on a steady 4.7 the agility of a Chango can be more fun.

Anyway: I got my Chango for a bargain and finally I am back to have a high-wind quiver that can cover all conditions I might run into. It is going to be a great 2008 season

Last edited by davide; 12th December 2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12th December 2007, 01:58 AM   #18
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
I am back to have a high-wind quiver that can cover all conditions I might run into. It is going to be a great 2008 season
No doubt boards have been geting more all round and you can get away with a bigger all rond wave board nowadays, I would say. But there is stll nothing that beats that small little ultra radical thing when the conditions are up to it. Good luck with your quiver.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote