Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 7th September 2007, 12:08 AM   #1
fabiobrum

Default Sonic 100l 2005 with a 7.6 sail?

Hi,

first of all i want to apologize for my bad english.
I'm a 1.83m guy with 67Kg.
last week i bought a sonic 100l. After a little search in starboard web site i founded that board have 5.5 to 7.8 sail range.

Its possible early planning with a 7.6 sail in light wind conditions (10-15 Knots or less)?

which the size fin i use?

thank's

Fabio
fabiobrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 01:31 PM   #2
geo

Hi Fabio,

I have been using a Sonic 95 for the two last Summer seasons. The board is AFAIK practically identical to the S100, apart from slightly thinner nose rails. In '06 I used it with TR-2 6.6 and 7.6, this year with 6.3 and 7.0. My weight is 83.
7.6 is perfectly useable and able to plane in light winds, I guess around 12 knots at my weight, but not much competitive; meaning that, unless it is fully powered, wider boards will have a steadier ride through lulls, more upwind drive and often even better speed. I used it with a Deboichet SL2 34, probably a 36 would have been better; different designs like Tectonics Goldwing or Curtis SR-6b may require up to 38.
Well you are much lighter than me, so this all should be re-adjusted. You will plane earlier and the board will be more effective in lighter winds. Probably the combined effect of lighter weight and higher speeds in lighter winds will make you better outfitted with a slightly shorter fin than I needed; I'd try with SL2 34 first.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote