Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 19th September 2007, 03:51 AM   #11
prsurf

Default Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_H View Post
I think it is pretty much impossible to ship directly. The next best thing would be to contact your importer by phone. Where are you located?
Ola, I live in Miami and have contacted the guys at Trident and am waiting for an answer. I understand they are the importer for North America... hopefully, they will have an answer.

Thanks
prsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 01:35 PM   #12
Ola_H
TEAM

OK. I just thought that if you were in closer to Sweden. I could just send you a sheet from my private stash directly.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 01:39 PM   #13
Jay

Mike, yes I am doing a wood deck repair. Thanks for the link, I'll check them out.
I would prefer to get the same wood that Starboard uses for a better match if possible.

Prsurf, I asked my dealer to look into getting some - I guess they will be checking with Trident also. When you hear back from them please post the results (I'll do the same if I hear first). If they get enough inquiries they will be more motivated to make an effort - hey, it can't be a big deal for them to order it for us! I'm sure Starboard will support us.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 02:23 PM   #14
Ola_H
TEAM

In the order form available to Trident there is a "wood repair kit" consisting of 10 sheets in a4 (approx 20*30cm, 8*12") size. It's not expensive either so I see no reason why they could not include a few such kits in their next order (if they don't have it in stock already).
Old 20th September 2007, 10:12 PM   #15
Mike T

Jay
Hi! Here is something to take a look at as far as a repair for your wood deck. Not sure If you had a chance to look a Eva's web site. Good luck! Mike T
www.boardlady.com/floweryheartbreak.htm
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 03:59 AM   #16
Jay

Ola - Thanks, I'll be sure to tell my dealer. That's an excellent sign it can be obtained.

Mike - Thanks, I've already seen that. Good stuff. For the minor repairs I've got my basic skills down but I need the right materials or it's a waste of time!
Old 25th September 2007, 06:35 PM   #17
prsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_H View Post
In the order form available to Trident there is a "wood repair kit" consisting of 10 sheets in a4 (approx 20*30cm, 8*12") size. It's not expensive either so I see no reason why they could not include a few such kits in their next order (if they don't have it in stock already).
Ola,

Sorry to be so persistent, but I have not received any reply from Trident in almost a week. I called and left msg and subsequently sent an email. When I spoke with them they did not seem to find what you were referring to... I am at a loss, as I need to perform the repair but hate to fill the top ding with epoxy as this will decrease the value of the board and may also impact performance. Can you help, or maybe point me to someone who can assist? Again, I am ready to order the kit... but find no easy way to do it...
prsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 07:46 PM   #18
Ola_H
TEAM

prsurf, I don't have any contact with Trident as I'm basically "just a rider". But if they can find the 2008 accessory order form (excel file) they should look at line 98 for the part labeled

STGA08WRS 2008 Wood repair shets (A4 size)

If worse comes to worse, I'll send you a sheet by mail from my personal stash. Call Trident one more time and then drop me a line by mail ola.helenius@ncm.gu.se. I don't have that many though and can't supply the whole USA so it really would be better of Trident ordered some.
Old 26th September 2007, 07:51 AM   #19
Mike T

Jay
How big is the repair that you need to do and what is the location of the ding? Also how bad is it? Do you have a soft spot or crunshing sound if you press down on the area? Because if you hear crunching sounds you most likely crushed some of the core. That would have to be fixed before you can do the wood other wise its a waste of time to just put wood over it with epoxy. Not sure if you have seen this epoxy from System Three but it's very clear like water and It's very easy to work with. www.systemthree.com/p_sb_112.asp Here is another place for veneers, www.woodcraft.com not sure if you have a store in your area but you could take the board to the store and see if they can match up a veneer piece for you. The store we have here they are quite helpfull. They might come up with a clever way of hiding the ding.They would probably be amazed that you have a wood board! When I took my stand-up Paddle into the store the guys jaw hit the floor! (SB SUP Forum) Just another Idea. Good Luck. Mike T
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 12:29 PM   #20
Jay

Mike, thanks for your input. The damage on my board is a crescent shaped dent from my harness hook. It must have happened when I blew a tack and fell off the bow. The blunt harness hook (U shaped end) crushed the wood deck in the shape of the end of the hook but did't do any other damage. So just a crescent shaped depresseion a little over an inch long or so and maybe several 3-4 mm wide. It depressed the wood 3-4 mm down and probably did break through the inner glass (I'm assuming there is inner glass). Actually that raises a question - on the starboard wood decked boards I wonder if you or anyone else knows if there's inner glass and outer glass sandwiching the wood veneer? I've always assumed there are both but I read somewhere that there may be no outer glass, just resin soaking the wood. I'm not even sure if there is inner glass so any input would be appreciated.

Roger recommended that to repair this I apply penetrating epoxy to seal the wood deep down (after drying), then use a filler (wood putty or epoxy mixed with wood dough), and then glass over that. I'm assuming that since it's such a small area (not a tiny ding but not a huge defect either) that I wouldn't have to get into digging into the core to inspect or repair it. How does this approach sound to you?

Thanks again!