Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 10th September 2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Koray

Default Why New Isonic 122 has deep tuttle fin box?

Hi Ian

Last 2 years I always use 101 and 122 Isonic for Slalom competition. And all my deboichet fins are tuttle box. Now Isonic 122 has deep tuttle fin box.This weekend I try Isonic 133 which also deep tuttle fin box all my fins is going inside of the fin box. I can't fix my fins to the new boards and I have to change all my fins bigger than 36 with deep tuttle fins. Why starboard are switching tuttle fin box to the deep tuttle? Also I try the original fins of 133 Isonic(2007), event those fins also going inside of the fin box.

Best Regards
Koray
Koray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Koray,

We change for deep tuttle box for a simple reason. The light wind board like 122, 133 &144 use bigger fin and racers need to use them on all this boards, so impossible for exemple to use a 44 in the 122, 133 or 144 if you have different box.

Your problems is not due to the tuttle or deep tuttle box, all of us have to adapt de fins in the box to fit perfectly, in your case, just add some resin on it and you fin will be perfect. You can use a tuttle fin in a deep tuttle box with out problems.

Hope this help.

All the best
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 07:31 AM   #3
MartinJE

Hi Koray

For a quick fix, and if you don't want to mess with resins (the best long-term solution) then try stips of PVC electrical tape up the front and/or back edges. You're only trying to pack out for correct depth.

You can build up the layers and is easy to trim down with a sharp blade. As the fin is drawn into the box with screws, the tape tends to be squeezed out some - but if you allow for this it works well for many sessions before requiring renewal.

Packing tape is good for the sides, where a snug fit is essential to transfer the fin loading to the board.

Good luck - Martin
MartinJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 06:56 AM   #4
ka43

Another pretty easy fix for tuttle fins and deep tuttle boxes is to get an old fin with tuttle base and cut out a section of the fin root that then fits in the bottom of the deep tuttle box between the fin screw holes. Start off slightly larger/deeper than need be and after trying your fins you can then file or sand down the block to allow your fins to sit tightly and flush with the boards bottom.
This saves you the mess of tape shims etc and gives a very solid base for your fins to sit on. Ive been using this method for 2 seasons now and its very easy to get used to.
Hope this helps.
ka43 is offline   Reply With Quote