Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 20th September 2007, 01:41 AM   #1
griff

Default evo 2006 vs 2008

Hello,

At the moment i am using 2 evo's from 2006, an Evo 74 and an Evo 83. My sail range is 4.2, 4.7, 5.3 and 5.7 and my weight is 82kg.

What i really like from this combo is that I can choice a board based on water conditions instead of the wind alone.

If it is windy for 5.3 but less wind in the wave breaks (onshore for example) I take the 83 for more float, if the conditions are perfect with a stable wind I take the 5.3 with the 74. Same for 4.7 conditions. For the rest, 4.2 ->74 and 5.7->83

Sonshore, gusty, or light-wind conditions: evo 83 , perfect or high-wind conditions: evo 74

The 83 has a different shape more based on early planing then the 74 so together with the difference in width and volume both boards differ enough to justify.

I think the XTV is a nice addition especially for the 80 because when you ready for the bottom turn you have to pay more attention to position the board compared to the 74 which is the smoother waverider.

Based on the volume and the early planing bottomshape of the 83 compared to the 80 it looks like a 75 & 80 evo will be closer to each other then the range i now have with my 74 & 83 combo.

Is this correct ?

ps. an 70 & 80 combo is not option because 70 liters will be to minimal for me because I am using 4.7 and 5.3 at 80% of the time.
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I forgot about this question, so sorry for the delay.

First, just like you I enjoy a healthy overlap between my boards since it allows god fine tuning in a critical sailing range.

Now to the question: is the 2008 EVO 75 and EVO 80 to close to form a good two board quiver?. I think that's a pretty difficult question to answer. No question the boards are different. Thats clear even from only looking at the tail widths. Especially when you're well powered up and the wind is not perfectly sideshore (meaning sail handling in the wave riding will require more attention), the more manageable tail of the 75 will mean a lot. But on the other hand, the shape of the 08 75 is more oriented towards looseness in smaller waves, earlier planing and such things (like the 06 EVO 74, the 07 75 was more "radical"). The 08/07 EVO 80 will still plane just as early (and have the added light wind benefit of more area and volume) but it certainly also rocks in good waves. So in the end, I think the 2008 75 and 80 maybe are too close to from a quiver. They will still offer slightly different things, but unless the am is the REALLY fine tune "mid wind" performance, there will be too much redundancy.

So, whats the options?

1. Base the quiver around the 08 75. I think this board have the same light wind/slow wave range as the 06 74 but still manages to keep some fast wave riding performance from the 2007 version. If you skip the 80 and add the 90 instead you will get something that is a total blast in slow wave riding at lighter winds with the benefit of more float. There will still be overlap between those boards.

2. Base the quiver around the 80. The 80 will be a tad less efficient than the 83 with big sails but it will also in a VERY noticeable way smooth out the wave riding. God complements would be:
2a: 2007 EVO 75 which really is a super smooth wave rider
2b 2008 EVO 70. I know you said no to that one, but it is in fact a bit over 70 liters for 08 and even at your weight it carry 5.3. 4.7 is perfectly within the sweet spot and I think you will be blow away with this one, for sure. The versatility of the EVO 70 is just unbelievable and it will start to work (really well) long before the EVO 80 reaches its limit.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Ray Timm

Ola,

Both of us have a fondness for the Evo 70s even though I weigh 83 kg and you're considerably lighter. I haven't had a chance to sail the 2008 model, so I'm wondering how it is different from the previous models, especially the 2007. If I'm not mistaken the Evo 70 models really didn't change much from the first model except for the change to the pintail.

Ray
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 03:08 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

The EVO 70 is certainly a magic board. All versions that both people in the 80+ range and in the sub 70 range praise its versatility says a lot.

Your right in that the 70 did not change a lot the first years. The the squash tail 04 feel rather similar to the 05 which in turn in identical to the 06. The 07 is pretty similar in feel to, but definitely a bigger change compared to the 04-05. Especially it is noticeably smoother in the top turn and the shape is sleeker and more harmonic, I would say. For 08 the shape is different once again, the extra v from 07 is still there, but the board is a tad thicker overall and with a slight tweak to the outline. This makes the board feel a bit bigger in size, but I still think its smoother off the top than the 06.

But again, the general feel of the board is still the same and although the last two years have offered bigger changes, I have still felt perfectly at home on the new boards each time.
Old 27th September 2007, 04:59 AM   #5
griff

thanks for the feedback!

Still two options to go:
1. keep the stuff as it is for the next year; what is the big advantage the 75/80 range will offer me compared to the 74/83 ?
2. just one board, the evo80/08 which fits between both boards i now have, better waveriding then the 83 in high-wind conditions and still more float then the 74

Lot of sailing last couple of days so no time for planning the gear but just sailing and enjoy!
Old 28th September 2007, 09:38 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

Well, the short answer is that 75/80 combo will simply offer a bit better wave riding performance especially into the "high performance" part of things but you will probably lose a touch of early planing effectiveness with big sails (5.7)

If yo want to go for only the 80, I wld definitely try it first, While it definitely handles "good conditions" better than the 83, it is still a fair bit beger than the 74. Opiions go both ways whether it can be a 74 replacement or not. Some people that try it still feels it a different size and to big to replace the 74 while others have takes this step and been very satisfied.
Old 29th September 2007, 07:55 PM   #7
griff

Okay thanks for the help Ola!

I will think about it; looks like the 75/80 combo would be the best for me. 2.5 cm width difference and 3.2 cm tail width difference is a nice combo for a waveboard.
Old 29th September 2007, 08:05 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

Yeah, and if you in fact look at many of the pro wave sailors that use custom boards and are not bounded by production volume spacings, many of them have boards that are very close on volumes but differ in widht and in som other aspects. So even though 75 and 80 is close volume wise, you certainly still have two very valid boards there