Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 17th September 2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Tom Aylott

Default Aero 127

Hi

Can any one tell me what the Aero 127 is like? I'm looking to move on from my carve 145 and have been offered a 2004 wood version by a friend but can't find any reviews. Does anyone know if it would be suitable?

Cheers

Tom
Tom Aylott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Floyd

At doing what ?
We need more info.
Rigs / weight / windstrength / location / conditions /other boards
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 03:41 AM   #3
Tom Aylott

Mostly for freeride but the odd wave here and there
At the moment 5.5 to 7.5 although was out at the weekend and needed 4.5
I'm about 95kg and 6'7"
Wind strength varying from probably 12 knots up to 30
Sailing on a mix of reservoirs and the sea, usually pretty choppy/swell
Currently using a carve 145
Tom Aylott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 10:53 AM   #4
steveC

Hi Tom,

While I don't have the Aero127, a friend does, but I have to say that his goals are more focused on light wind waves. From what I can discern, the board is very maneuverable for its size, but I think that it's a relatively weak freerider because its speed seems to be on the slower side. It's my take that its design is better suited to the inside straps and light wind waves with its rockerline. Overall, it seems to be quite turnable for its pronounced width and volume.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

I used to have the Aero 117. Very similar shape, only width differs. I came to this board from a wave perspective s to say, but it turned out to be the board that introduced me to the "freeride feel". So, its definitely not a bad freerider. The rocker is similar to Kombats and Pure Acids and those are proven fast in the right conditions (a few GPS readings over 40 knots). I sailed my smaller Kombat just below 30 knots the other day and that is not much slower than I am on an iSonic (being the wave sailor I am). The downside of the Aero speed wise is that it is a rather big and wide board that at the same time has many control oriented aspects in its shape. So, in light wind, it will be beaten my more effective shapes (iS, Futura and maybe Carve) and in high wind it will be beaten by smaller boards since control. So, the Aero may not be the easiest board to be really fast on, but I still think its a good freerider speed wise.

Another thing to note is that the Aero has a pretty short rocker. That makes it ned more technique to get going early that fx a Carve. With a god technique, you can get it going super early, but if technique is lacking it will take some more sail power to go.

Th area where the Aerovrocks is of course maneuvers. Few, if any, boards in this size will turn as smoothly as the Aero and few will handle waves in the same excellent way.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 12:51 AM   #6
Per

Hi Tom.
Iīm not part of the team, but Iīm the same weight as you, I had the Carve 145 and I do have the Aero 127 so I think Iīm into some relevant knowledge.
First of all: itīs two different boards and the Aero has to be considered a smaller board than the Carve even though the width is almost the same.
The 145 planes noticeable earlier, and it has a better top speed. Itīs easier to get started too due to the longer rocker/waterline. Itīs a very traditional and lovely freeride board.
The Aero is very short and wide and so quite technical to get started. It feels quite fast but it isnīt. It can be a very nice freerider even with sails close to 9.0 m2 and itīs very loose and comfortable to sail. Where it really shines is in bumpīn jump conditions. It can really be thrown around in chop and it jibes like a dream. If it was a bicycle it would be a mountain bike ;-). Itīs actually fun in waves (those ordinary wind driven ones most of us consider waves).

So if the Aero will be your biggest board instead of the carve you will loose some planing time and you have to live with more sailors passing you. If the Aero is meant to challenge you more than the Carve in jumping and jibing itīs great, but be aware: itīs a different and technical board. I almost put mine for sale after the first sessions. Today Iīm very happy I didnīt. It has really changed my way of surfing a lot and made a lot of sessions something more than blasting back and forth with a jibe in each end.
Regarding the fins: The Drake freeride 40 fin is crap. I switched mine to a 44 freeride fin (cheap Pro-Limit nothing special) and it made a huge difference in planing, pointing and speed.
The wave fin is ok fun and quite loose.

Last edited by Per; 20th September 2007 at 12:54 AM.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 05:46 PM   #7
LK

I agree 100% with Per and Ola.
The AE 127 sails like a smaller board. If you keep the Carve for lightwind/flatwater sailing, the AE 127 is perfect for wave/crossover, and B&J in 12 to 25+ knots.
In waves/chops it overlaps surprisingly much of my K96 range.
LK is offline   Reply With Quote