Old 17th September 2007, 01:07 AM   #1
Poopzilla

Unhappy Tight finbox

Just got a new Evo 75 Wood, 2007 and I have A LOT of force to get the supplied fin into the finbox not to mention getting it out. Trying the fin on other boards it fits OK, trying other fins on the EVO is even tighter than the supplied one, so my conclusion is that the box is way too tight. I don't know what material the box is made out of, but do you think it is OK to force it in and out to wear the box down, black plastic shavings are comming off from the box. It is putting a lot of stress on the box doing this. Is this a common problem? Any other suggestions

Thomas

Last edited by Poopzilla; 18th September 2007 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Schpelling
Poopzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Thomas,

I suggest to add some liquid soap, sun tan lotion or anything which is a bit greasy to ease the entry and/or sliding of your fin's base into the fin box. It will become easier with time and wear...

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 10:22 PM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Poopzilla,
Perhaps taking a smooth file and running it along the sides the "A" box in your Evo 75 Wood is what you need to do.
Check it with soap to see if there is a particularly "tight" spot that needs a little "special attention" with the file.
If you have access to a micrometer or accurate vernier caliper, you can measure the width of the fin root.
It should be about 0.375" (9.525 mm) so the slot should be somewhere in the 0.375-0.377" (9.525 mm- 9.5758 mm).
Sometimes there is a tight spot, or the fin box is very slightly "bent" which can cause problems getting your fin in and out. It's best to rub a bar of soap on the root of the fin, and try to install it in the box. The tight spots will show up as shiny spots on the fin root.
These will need to be filed down to get your fin to fit correctly.
Just take down the shiny spots where there's tight interference, and your fin should fit into the slot like all "A" or "E" box fins.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 04:16 AM   #4
Poopzilla

Default Tight finbox

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replys. I've meassured the box with a Vernier and it's between 8,65 - 8,80 mm, so no wonder it's tight. I guess I just have to sand away untill it fits. Too bad this is the first thing you have to take care of when you buy a new board.

All the best
Thomas
Old 20th September 2007, 06:06 AM   #5
steveC

Hi Roger,

Just a bit curious why Starboard doesn't elect to use the WaterRat Tuttle Box in their boards. For many years (15 actually), I have been using boards with the WaterRat Tuttle Boxes, and the fin fit is absolutely impeccable, as I have really never had to fuss with altering fin roots in any way.

I'm sure that the cost to procure the WaterRat boxes would raise the cost of boards a tad, but I'm sure that customers would appreciate the dependable precision and quality. Given the number of regular complaints Starboard seems to get, a precision upgrade has to be a no brainer in realizing improved customer satisfaction.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Phill104

SteveC,

A WaterRat tuttle box wouldn't fit in an evo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 10:05 PM   #7
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Thomas,

I agree with you it's a real PITA not to have the 9.5 mm width which should become standard with all US box. I would suggest to file down the box until you reach a width of 9.3-9.4 mm (check the root's width of all your wave fins before). With time and wear, it will get wider : I had to coat the US box with epoxy glue and resurface it at 9.4 mm wide to make it narrower again after 4 years of use of my 2003 Acid 62. Fins are now tight in its US box and do not wobble sideway anymore. Entry and removal of fins is greatly eased per liquid soap (never ever use a hammer !).

SteveC,

There are 3 major constraints why not to use a Tuttle box in a wave board :
1) a Tuttle box is way much too thick to fit inside the tiny tail of a wave board;
2) you will have not enough space above the box to fit rear footstraps plugs on the midline;
3) you won't be able to fine tune the setup by moving your fin into its finbox according to the conditions (forward for more manoeuvrability/snappyness; backward for more stability at high speed).

For all these reasons, a US A/E box is the most preferable solution for a wave board IMHO.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 12:25 AM   #8
steveC

Hey guys, my apologies! I simply missed the fact that an Evo was the subject here, despite the clear indicators. So often the issue is with Tuttle boxes, so ended up blindly taking a wrong turn here. A bit embarrassing, to say the least.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 01:54 AM   #9
Phill104

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
Hey guys, my apologies! I simply missed the fact that an Evo was the subject here, despite the clear indicators. So often the issue is with Tuttle boxes, so ended up blindly taking a wrong turn here. A bit embarrassing, to say the least.
It's OK, we'll make sure your punishment fits the crime. Hung, drawn and quartered should do the trick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 04:19 PM   #10
Poopzilla

I've sanded it down now to a compromise between the new Drake fin and my old fins. The new fin slips in real easy and the old ones still need quite a bit of force.

Maybe it's better to get a new fin for the biggest sailsizes, any suggestions in size and brand for this. I'm 79 kg and plan to use 5,3 and maybe a 5,7, if it works, as my largest sails.

Thomas