Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 20th September 2007, 01:43 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Pumping

I know there were quite a few threads about pumping, just wanted to add something I found out some time ago.

When pumping it makes quite a difference to ensure that you issue pressure on the mastfoot through your arms when opening the sail to initiate a pump. You have to maintain pressure on the mastfoot ALL the time. It really helps getting you going in iffy conditions.
Old 20th September 2007, 02:37 AM   #2
Unregistered

Lightbulb

sweet, i'll have to be trying that next time i go out
Old 22nd September 2007, 01:48 AM   #3
Madis

Send a message via MSN to Madis

pumping will help you: get into straps easier, get a nice smooth jibe, and get yourself on a sweet wave
Madis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 11:14 PM   #4
Planky

Default does it work for Formula too?

Hi,

When you say mastfoot pressure at the start - what do you mean. I can't visulaise it...

Would this work to geta Formula board up and going in iffy winds?

Planky
Old 26th September 2007, 03:25 PM   #5
Unregistered

just issue pressure on the mastfoot through your arms ALL the time. Let the mast stand upright and pull DOWN (MFP) and against the sail. Mast hand only pulls a little against the sail (but keeps up the pressure on the mast foot) clew hand "flutters" the sail slowly. When you reach out for the next "flap" you have to maintain the pressure on the mast foot (push the mast forward, keep it forward with mast hand).

Just think of it like this:
if you don't maintain MFP the back of your board will sink in (while you're reaching out for the next flap), creates drag and slows you down again, so worst case scenario: you just end up with a nice workout.

The trick is to keep the board flat during pumping and since you are (most likely) standing on the board it will tend to incline in your direction.