Old 1st October 2007, 01:17 AM   #1
gturn

Default Futura 111, or 122 ?

Hi, I'm looking to change my 122 carve for a new futura, used as my big board, for blasting on flat/bump and jump coastal conditions, At a slight 95Kilos, I was wanting to know which size board would be more suitable for me, taking in consideration the width size against the volume.
My 122 carve is 68.5cm wide, same as 111 futura.
The 122 futura is 71.5 cm wide.

Thanks

GT
gturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 09:48 AM   #2
steveC

Hi GT,

Just curious what sails sizes that you anticipate using with the Futura122, to include the anticipated wind speeds for your locale.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 10:04 PM   #3
gturn

Default futura 111 or 122

Hi Steve,
On my 122 Carve, I usually sail in winds between F3, to F4/5 on a range of 6.3m, 7m, and 8m ezzy sails. The wind tends to be gusty
Thanks
Old 2nd October 2007, 01:22 AM   #4
steveC

Hi GT,

I'm assuming from your original comments that you have a smaller board to handle the windier side of the spectrum, so I guess it's important to consider the core conditions for your "big board" use. If the likelihood of using the 7.0 and 8.0 is greater on average, I would tend to lean more towards the Futura122 because you can benefit from the added volume, particularly if the wind in your locale often dies quickly, or if you have to slog out to and back from the windline. On the other hand, if you tend to see more 6.3 and 7.0 days on average, I think the scale would clearly tip favor towards the Future111 instead.

Regarding the issue of width, I think that Starboard is trending towards slightly wider, but thinner designs, so it's hard to compare an older design like the Carve simply based on width (overall and in the tail). It's my thought that volume is really your best focus point, so I wouldn't weigh marginal differences in width to be super meaningful.

One question you might want to ask yourself is whether your Carve122 often felt too big for the conditions, where you might have found it to be a handful to control and track in the swell and chop. From my experience, the water state in coastal locales can often exhibit swell and chop coming from a greater distance than the immediate wind influences. Of course, only you can know for sure about this, but I think that reflecting on past experience would help you better discern your optimum path here.

I'm sure that you might want to hold out for some specific input from the team to help you choose here, but I hope that I've offered some useful food for thought.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:27 AM   #5
gturn

Default futura 111 or 122

Hi Steve,
Thanks for that, most of my use of my 'big' board is on 7m and occasionally 8m, I only tend to use a 6.3 with this board if the wind is strong, and its flat. So the 122 futura at the moment is favourable.
I appriciate any comments and assistance

GT