Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 9th October 2007, 04:19 AM   #11
Floyd

Yeh I agree it can work with an adjustment and over quite a small range; of either windstengths or weights.
Variable which has biggest influence on outcome is wind speed; purely because its effects are not linear.All others are.(Well nearly; apart from drag which favours heavier sailor.(ie double weight you dont double drag.Double wind speed ; well you know)

Think I`ll stick to sending a wind dummy out before I sail.Its still best option.

We havent factored in to any of this efficient boards.My recent Goya certainly gets me planing with I`d guess half a metre less than I was used to using.(Sorry *B)

Good sailing Davide.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 05:15 AM   #12
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Hi Davide
Not sure sail size and weight are linear.Infact pretty sure they aren`t.
In lightish winds;or possibly in a particular given wind they could be.But as wind increases the difference in sail size has got to diminish.
A doubling in windpower quadruples the amount of energy/power available.
In lightish winds I find I need about a metre more than average (ie I`ll have a 7 on ; 75k mates on a 6 but in strong winds (ie 4 metre ish) I can get going with pretty much same size sail .
I`ve pretty much got it sorted for sail sizes/wind. But struiggling a bit on smallest board choice.
Agree with you re Acid 86/K89 though.
Thanks for repy.
Sorry for not replying earlier, but I was a bit busy and had to think a bit too. It is always dangerous extrapolating my own light weight experience to something else. However, your comment above makes things more clear. Regardless if things are linear or not, you're sail size experience is indeed the experience you have. And that coincides with my experiences as a lightweight (watching how sailor of different weights rig relative to how I rig). I would say that this comment also explains why it seems harder for heavier people to get as much wind range out of their boards.

So, when you are powered up on that 5.4, it is going to be very windy (say 4.7 weather for me) and the spectrum down to 3.7 (when I probably i still hanging onto my 3.5) really is not as big as it first seemed. Since you will pretty much not ask any light wind performance from this board, I think you should go rather small. That said, even when it windy there are wind holes, so you have to find a volume that you are still reasonably comfortable on. Hence I to think the PA 86 will be the best compromise. Then you get the more control oriented thinner and narrower tail (compared to the Kombat 89) and you still get the extra weight carrying capability compared to K79 or PA80.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 03:39 PM   #13
Floyd

Hi Ola
You are obviously correct.
I was talking about comfortable ; well powered sailing.(ie at my age I like to sail with "just" enough sail.)
On day you quoted did you wear GPS ?Would be interesting to compare Vmax on such occasions.(On same board ???) Sheer grunt versus efficiency ???
An engineer friend of mine used to say " any fool can build a bridge it takes a good enginner to "just" build one" .Sail choice is a bit like that.I like to be just sailing for most enjoyment.(and longest time)
Its got OT anyway.
All I wanted to know was how everyone thought weight affected sail range.
ie What is sail range for KA86 with 103k on it ???
Take care.
Floyd
Old 9th October 2007, 03:42 PM   #14
Floyd

PS
Thanks Ola for well wriiten reply.Iam going KA 86.
Old 9th October 2007, 04:56 PM   #15
Ola_H
TEAM

Thanks. I did that "sail efficiency test two times only. One time I was on a slalom board (iS76) 6.6 was OK. Only ever so slightly on the big side I still wanted to try my 5.5 which was very underpowered, changed fins from 26 slalom to 23 speed too. Still went pretty much as fast and the biggest difference was that it was hard to get in position for a god run with the smaller gear.

A few week ago I was sailing with my wife. She was on 4.0 and I one 5.0. Lake sailing but wave sails. Kombat 79 for me. 5.0 was definitely on the overpowered side but 4.0 was still only reasonable powered up for blasting purposes. I still went around 1.5-2 knots faster with the smaller sail (and a 100 times more comfortable).

In both these cases, 2s speed readings was around 30 knots, I think.

But of course there are instances where a bigger more powered up sail would be faster.

The final answer on "weight dependance" is that it depends...
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 02:53 PM   #16
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Nice discussion going on here. This is a very complex issue since there are a lot of variables at play. Two examples below to illustrate that complexity :

1) 105 kg mate on Carve 161 + freerace 9.5 sail and myself 65 kg on Kombat 86 + freemove 6.9 sail. Drag racing side by side in steady onshore 12-18 knots of wind. Below 12 knots, none of us can start planing. We can both start planing at the same time with 12 knots winds and well powered-up, we were equally fast.

2) 85 kg mate on iSonic 122 (Drake Slalom Pro 42/44/46 cm fin) + Racing 7.8 sail and myself on iSonic 76 (Drake Slalom Pro 32 cm fin) + racing 6.6 sail. Drag racing side by side in gusting offshore 15-20 knots of wind. Well powered-up, he was a tad faster than me but way faster once we hit a 15 knots lull. Enter a 67 kg racer on Falcon 72 (Tectonics GW 36 cm fin) + 6.7 racing sail and this guy beat us on all point of sail with stuning planing ability in lower wind range.

Conclusions :

1) match board size with sail size according to your weight for the conditions.
2) a wider board size with a fairly large fin is faster in gusting offshore winds.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 03:42 PM   #17
Floyd

Thanks everybody for contributions on thread.

Going top get A 86 next week !

Take care.

Floyd