Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 7th October 2007, 09:56 PM   #1
Erich

Default Which foot first in the strap?

Hi,

maybe this is a silly question, but anyway.

I have been windsurfing for a very long time but since the beginning when trying to get planing I first put my "front foot" in the strap and after that (when the board feels ready to plan) the "rear foot" in the strap. Works fine for me.
During my last trip to the Lake of Garda some guys told me they just do it the other way (rear foot first in the strap and after that the front foot).
I was really confused and argued that was totally wrong and would make it much more difficult to get the board planing - at least in low wind conditions. I failed to convince them, but maybe I was wrong?

Thanks in advance for some comments on this.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Floyd

I reckon rear foot first in hard conditions.(Catapulting can be prevented with rear foot in strap; feels safer more secure.(ie which foot would you put in if you could only choose one ?)
Early planing where you aint likely to be overpowered I think its personal choice. You could argue either way ??? (I think) I must agree though you can spread your weight out loads and keep "secure" with just back foot in but I do think all coaching vids argue otherway ???(I`ve spoken to "instructors" who coach differently.?
Purely getting board planing though (and keeping it so) front foot and then put rear foot just behind it. (ie keeping nose down and weight forward helps eraly planing on most boards)(You cant do it when well powered though)
Must vary board to board !
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Screamer

I believe vast majority of sailors use front foot first technique in most conditions. Also that's what ws instructors teach.
However, I've heard stories of using back foot first approach, mostly in stupidly overpowered conditions.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote