Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 18th September 2007, 06:01 AM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default JP FSW VS Starboard KOMBAT VS other FSW's

Alright, so I am selling a lot of stuff and am wanting to buy an FSW at around 85-90 L.

I was wondering what are the benifits of the JP compared to the kombat model of around the same volume.

My plan for this board is higher wind freestyle, B and J and wave riding when the conditions come. I would be using it with a 5.8 down to a 4.2. I am new to jumping (as in I havn't done any bigger jumps yet, only 5 feet tops) but I really want to start getting out in bigger conditions and trying forward loops etc. I am 145-150 pounds (67-68 kg). I need a reasonably tough board (stands up to the occational flat landing by accident (only when learning and only small jumps) and also loops and freestyle falls and bails.

Does anyone recommend any other brands?

My other board (lightwind board) is a hypersonic 111. I have smaller board experience (I took out my friends kombat 95 for a couple of runs and found it almost too big somethines, but am comfertable and can almost jibe it)

Tks a lot,

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 10:25 PM   #2
JP Breaks Easily

Exclamation JP FSW 85 Broke in half!

I was actually a big JP Freestyle Wave booster until this summer. I owned the 78 and 85 liter versions of the 2006 JP FSW- both in the supposedly tougher "Full Wood Sandwich" construction.

This summer I was sailing in Lake Michigan (USA-Wisconsin) on the JP FSW 85. Got some great jumps of about 8-10 feet while powered up with my 6.0- then landed on a little piece of chop and the board snapped in half!!

Beyond the warranty period, so no help from JP. These boards are very fragile- stay away from them for sure if you want to jump.
Old 2nd October 2007, 01:42 AM   #3
Madis

Send a message via MSN to Madis

kombat is a heavy-duty machine, its bulletproof if compared to the jpfsw, jpfsw is for people who can do things, and are not learning, yes jpfsw is fragile but you have more fun with it, my friend owns a jpfsw and he is fond of it!
but if you are learning stuff then go with the kombat, its more pretty also, and its the PERFECT all-rounder EVER!
from bumps n' jumps to waveriding
Madis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:05 AM   #4
Screamer

Wsdagg

Look here, some excellent posts from Ola:
http://www.star-board.com/forum/show...?t=2575&page=2
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 09:04 AM   #5
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

well the kombat seems the way to go. I can say i am deffinatly not an expert or even intermediate. I have been on an 80 ish L board made by a friend of mine and like that size, but probably could handle something bigger. I am sailin it 5.8 to 4.1 as I said before. I am going to try tricks for sure next time I am out so i need a strong board. I don't care about user friendliness. I find those boards very boring. I just need to figure out the size. 80 L is good when the wind is there and schlogging i was ok with it. Jibing I was fine too. Figured it out on the second last run before the wind died. But I think something like 85 L might be better. That added volume should bring a wider board for early planing right? I don't really care about volume too much. With good technique it outweighs volume on the right board. I will sail as I said before in chop and in reasonably big chop (sandbanks on lake ontario which is wave sailing and lac champlain which is more like hte gorge). My other board is the hyper so I want something that I can have fun with jumping and trying some small freestyle stuff with on the 5.8 and when the wind picks up freestyle and wave sailing and big jumps. Im addicted to bearing off, gaining speed and hitting the lip as hard as possible...

I really need some help. What year would people recommend for a grade 12 student who is short on cash? (ie i can't buy the 07 or 08 model).

tks a lot,

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 08:01 AM   #6
Screamer

WSdagg/Thomas/student

Kombat86 (2006) will serve you fine, no worries. You just need to be aware of:
1. When it's really powered 4.1 weather (and the water state that usually goes with it), I want a smaller board. I'm 85+ kgs.
2. I believe Kombat is not the best for choice for freestyle, compared to other fsw/crossover boards out there (JP, Tabous). I ride it in med/high wind bump/jump (where it excells), and the wave riders praise it also.

Good luck, and go finish your studies, then find a good job so you can spend all the $$$ on ws gear
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 04:43 PM   #7
Madis

Send a message via MSN to Madis

RRD FSW is a pretty good board, and syncro fish from mistral 83+l is pretty good
Madis is offline   Reply With Quote