Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 5th September 2006, 03:53 PM   #1
GEN

Send a message via ICQ to GEN
Default new Aero (Kombat) 127

Hi!
I wonder how fun and easy the Aero 127 is for the 77kg (170lbs) rider
for the fresh water conditions around 15-20 knots + 3-5 ft waves?

When it is flat water, does Aero work like e.g. Carve board? B)

what is the wind range for the Aero 127 (e.g. 6 and 8.5m2 sails)?

Sorry for 3-in-1 questions
GEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 02:35 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: new Aero (Kombat) 127

Well, I have not riddern the Kombat-Aeros yet and can olny base my answer on the 2006 A117 and that I know that rocker, v, rails etc is not changed - only outline is.

My guess based on this is that the KA117 will actually fit someone your size better. People heavier than you have used the 06 A117 with sails all the way up to 9.0. I think an 8.5 will be manageable on the KA117 and with sails aroun 6 it will definitely be better in size.

I actually like the A117 on flat water, but its a more technical ride than a Carve. Once going it rides pretty easy, but planing requires a bit more active techique - you can't "just stand there" but have to actively "push" the board onto a plane.

Also on a wave I believe the KA117 will fit your weight better.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Duracell

I briefly had the KA127 and then replaced it with the KA117 and am almost as happy with it as I used to be with my A117. I weigh ~ 80 Kg and If your not WELL over 90 Kg I would NOT recommend the KA127.

KA117 is a bit slower than Carve on flat water (KA127 too) (but then again, most people won't notice, have easily taken out Hypers and Carves on my A117).
KA117 will be tons more fun than a Carve in chop/waves always wanting to get a bit of AIR.

Wind range: for me >= 14kts ~ 25kts (but of course not solid 25kts just gusts).

Sail range: I'm comfortable with 5.0 - 8.1 have once put a 8.8 on it and wasn't pleased (works, but where's the fun factor??). Favourite sail saizes 6.1 and 6.8.

Just 1 thing: if you really have 15-20 kts you might still want to go a bit smaller. (caution: I always surf salt water) From ~ >= 18kts on I'm definitely on my K86!
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 08:39 PM   #4
WindriderVA74

Hi Duracell,

My shortboard Quiver is all Starboard F147, A117 and K86, I'm about the same weight and find my 6.0 and 6.8 are also my favorite A117 sails, with the 6.0 on the A117 I can switch to the K86 if the wind picks up. My question is how small a sail have you sailed with the K86? I use mine 6.0; 5.2 and 4.5. but haven't gone smaller (rarely see that kind of wind), but with Hurricane season approaching and close outs beginning to appear I'm wondering if I should look for somethingaround 4.0? Do you have a smaller board than the K86?

Thanks for your thoughts.

WindriderVA74
WindriderVA74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 03:31 AM   #5
Jean-Marc
TEAM

WindriverVA74,

Check this thread for small sail on Kombat 86 :
http://www.star-board.com/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=6&thread_id=21190

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 02:55 AM   #6
Duracell

Hi WindriderVA74,

- sail size K86-> link Ola provided
- don't own a smaller board anymore (used to have PA73 but restriction was CONSTANT >> 25 kts for pure fun, otherwise blubl blub blub). Maybe if winter is really lethal or I finally lose another 10 Kg I might consider getting a smaller board.
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 03:45 AM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

I thought a bit more about the K86-small sail thing. I've spent the last years sailing lots of wave gear and have pretty thouroughly tried to use all baords - big or small - in all kinds of conditions and with different sails. This means often sailing small baords with big sail (which kind of was my thing before) but also using big boards in "small" conditions. I''ve found that with wave and crossover boards also the larger ones handle the smaller sails balance wise. In other words, the board handle the sail as such and it will be sailing conditions (rather than just the wind strength as such) that decide. And of course, when the water state gets difficult enougn (or the riding speed on a wave get high enough) you will runt into control problems on a to big board.

That said, the control is also dependent on how fast and aggressive you sail and actually many people tend to rather slow down a bit in very choppy high wind consitions (sort of uncoiciosly, long before actual control problems occur). If you do this you can extend the range of the board.

Another important aspect is how much control you need. powered up on a big wave most people tend to want a lot fo control but on flat water in a B&J setting an experienced sailor can sacrifice a lot of control and still keept the power on. You sort of just forget about that the board is a bit crazy under you feet and just keep charging.

So, while I have not sailed the K87 with a 4.0 yet. I an totally confident I could do so even in serious chop when freeriding or B&J sailing despite only being 70 kilos. The board can take it, the question is more if the sailor can and of course a PA 74 (which is very similar in feel in a straightline and in a turn) will of course offer a more relaxed ride for light and medium weight riders. For wave riding however, I wouldn't like to sail the K87 in 4.0 conditions. Just to much for me to handle.

Old 8th September 2006, 04:09 PM   #8
GEN

back to Aero 117 -> it is the same shape as the new KA127. In other words - it gained 10 litres in 2007!
and new KA117 became smaller in outlines..
Old 8th September 2006, 04:26 PM   #9
GEN

Does that mean the new KA127 will be felt like 2006 Aero 117 (+ extra 10 liters of buoyancy bonus...)?
Old 8th September 2006, 05:09 PM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

GEN

Do a search for a post by Duracell about KA127 on the Starboard Bulletin forum and I think you will see that you can not think of the KA127 as a bigger A117. Its still a bigger (and hence more cumbersome) board. I would rather see the chages for 07 as the both the respective sizes having been tuned to "do their thing" even better. Only if you wer very boarderline between A117 and A127 it would make sense to choose KA127 as a replacement for a A117. Thats my educated GUESS, based on only knowing what has changed and on riding the A117 and hearing other people report about the differnt boards and sizes.

Duracell can maybe comment more on this.