Old 16th October 2007, 05:36 AM   #1
Tulla

Default Evo 80

Hi Team
I'm after a little advice. Last weekend I tested an Evo 80 in approx 20-25 knots of NE onshore wind and about 2foot waves off the beach in Queensland Australia. I'm looking at purchasing a board to replace my old glass wave board. When I tested the Evo 80 I found that I spun out quite a bit when trying to point up a little. I was very powered up with a 5.3 Gaastra.

I changed fins and had a little better success. I noticed that mast track,footstrap positions were quite different to my old design glass board and was told it is just a matter of getting used to the new setup.Also heard that moving the mast track towards the rear of the board would help.

I am after a board that I can sail off the beach(not hard core wave) and also can be used 20+ knots on flat water when my slalom board is too big.

I am an intermemdiate sailor with 12 years experience comfortable in most conditions excepting large surf.

2 Questions - do you think the Evo 80 is the right type of board and if so any hints on minimising spin out.

Thanks
Tulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

You don't mention you weight which will influence the choice of size a fair bit. Maybe you can supply that information?

In the mean time, we can discuss the different model options.

The EVO, as you noticed, may feel a bit unusual to some sailors. It has less "fin drive" than classic boards or more exactly put, it is not so easy to feel where its "for-aft trim point" is which makes it more difficult to go upwind and get planing in particular with low sail power and big sails. Some sailors never feel this phenomenon but other do. In any case it makes the EVOs less freeride oriented. The positive sides of the EVO is of course the wave riding where it is extremely all round and covers all types of waves and suits sailors of all levels. In particular it is fantastic in smaller and/or lees than ideal wave conditions and for non expert sailors. In your case, if you ware on an 07 EVO 80, the standard fin is rather small to most people. For 08 the fin is both one size bigger an also a tad stiffer.

The other options are Kombat or Pure Acid. They are actually rather similar in feel, with the Kombat having a wider tail and shoulders. This makes them very similar in feel both in a straightline and on a wave, with a few details about "speed range" differing. Both these boards are great for B&J and high wind flat water use. Very easy and natural to use and with good upwind ability. They are still wave boards though, and on a wave they have a fantastic bottom turn and a good top turn too. They are not as "loose" and easy to go vertical on as the EVOs and have a more "drawn out", power turning style to them.

So whether you want the EVO os Pure Acid/Kombat depends on your preferences. If wave riding is everything, than EVOs are a natural choice for most people. EVOs just make most people ride a wave better (but it is still a style thing and some prefer the Acid style).
If you mix wave sailing with B&J and more freeride oriented sailing, Kombats or Pure Acids are usually a better choice.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Tulla

Ola

I'm around 75kg.

Thanks for the advice. Probably when it gets down to it I'm more after B&J with occasional wave riding as I'm a bit shy in larger waves. Sail sizes I use are 5.3 and 4.6.

I do value being able to sail upwind and therefore the question re the best config for the EVO 80. The fin I swapped onto was an older/larger fin which assisted with pointing - what are your thoughts on mast track psoition?

I didn't have much trouble at all planing even though the wind was lighter in the wave zone - I was also testing another brand 85l board and the EVO compared well from an early planing point of view which I was impressed with.

Regards

Tulla
Tulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

EVO 80: I think you can keep mast track pretty much in the middle or slightly back. For some people on EVOs, pointing get better when you move the straps a bit forward. The stance is pretty wide and for better B&J sailing you an try moving rear strap forward but front straps back for a narrower spread.

Fins: the original fin very good, but small. To trim the boad for more B&J, you can either go for a stiffer fin but would say the best option is to get a bigger version of the Drake Natural fin which works very well with the board. A 24 or even 25 (if you're going to use 5.8) could complement the original 23 on the 07 E80. If you get a 08 E80 you could even get a 26 which would for a good quiver with the original 24 on that board. 26 on the 07 would leave a bit of a gap in your fin quiver.

At 75 kilos, you could also try the 2008 EVO 75 (a bit "bigger" and faster than the 07 version). It will still handle 5.3 very well but be a bit more controllable for powered up 4.6.

But again, for more focus on B&J, Kombats and Pure Acids are natural way to go. The Kombat 79 is a wonderful and very easy riding board which has a sick bottom turn. The Pure Acid 74 sails like a smaller version of the K79 which makes it handle faster wave riding better at the price of being a bit sinkier and a tad later planing with sails over 5.3.

Last edited by Ola_H; 19th October 2007 at 01:35 PM.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote