Old 28th October 2007, 04:36 AM   #1
Sieger

Default Isonic 122 or 133

Hello,

I 'am 84 Kg 1.80
This year I had the isonic 133 W=80 cm for 9.0 m2 (some times also with 7.8)
Top speed about 56 Km/h (with 7.8)

I 'am looking for nearly the same board, because i want to replace the 133.
The 133 was sticking al little on the waves in shop condition with the 9.0. and 7.8. In flatwater conditions verry fast.
I also have smaller boards for other sails 7.8-6.7 / 6.7- 5.8

The new 133 is 85 width, for me I have the fealing it is to big and I 'am afraid it is fealing much bigger, slower and heavier than my 133 Isonic now, and for me to bigg in smaller waves with 9.0 overpowered.

The 122 is 75 cm width and so 5 cm smaller than my Isonic 133.
I also want surf in low wind situation with 9.0 (or 9.8 some times, but not necesery). Whats your advise for the 9.0 most in low wind situations

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 04:45 PM   #2
PeterCee

I have a new iSonic133 which I bought for use with 9.0 sail on flat water.

The board does feel quite big and will easily carry a 10.8 formula sail (using a bigger fin).

With 9.0m it is an early planing board and glides well through the lulls - but for maxed out 9.0m conditions I suspect the iS122 would be better.
PeterCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 05:29 PM   #3
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Sieger,

The new 2008 iS133 has the DFC rocker, it significantly frees the nose section c/w 2007, allowing the new 133 to run free/er than previous model.

If you want the "ideal" 9m size, take 133, if you want one more for 7.6-9m range then 122. 122 won't be very effective with 9.8m and 84kg, that is 133 for sure.

Obviously in marginal 9m, the 133 is the choice.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Unregistered

This is the perfect example of why the Hypersonic was so good. With the new Isonics you can't cover the range with one board. The 111 Hyper would go very well on the sails you want to use for your weight. It's a shame they are discontinued as they made the dicision easy. Hopefully it will go the full circle and come out again.

Starboard bring back the Hyper!!!!!
Old 31st October 2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Live hard, die young.
Love it - or hate it - many consider Hyper was dead before it's time.

But reality is the slalom market has moved on and grown and matured and your typical customer now demands a higher level of performance (where the iS kicks butt), albeit at a compromise in overall range (where the HS kicks butt).

And slowly that compromise on the range factor is being reduced, too.

And as you know, who knows...the circle turns..

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Maximus

Long live the Hyper!

I run my H1111 with a RS Racing 6.7 & 8.4.

These new sails really take this machine to a new level, and to be honest, snot most of the Isonics upwind and off the wind. Which coincendentally comes in handy when doing figure of 8 racing.

Let the circle turn!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Chris Pressler

Hi Maximus,
did you sail on an Isonic 122 already? This board covers an extremely wide range of sailsizes and works great in downwind and upwind. Get a bit bigger fin on for figure 8 slalom. I used sizes 42 and 44 for sails from 7,6 to 9,2. A 46 would work great, too for upwind. Sure, the Hypersonic is a great in upwind legs , but in my mind much harder to control in racing. It needs much more concentration. The Isonics are extremely loose and quick in acceleration, especially when you´ve made a fault.

Have fun on the water,
Chris
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 03:41 AM   #8
Maximus

Hi Chris

Yes I have sailed a 122. My impressions are that the 122 is most likely faster on a beam reach, slower upwind and downwind.... As we all know with beam reaches however, faster isn't significantly faster, most boards are within 1-2 knots. With our local racing, figure 8, you are always going upwind, hence the Hyper is still a great option, as Hyper is significantly faster upwind. The fact I only need one board is a real bonus for myself as a social racer ( I can put my 1 board, 2 sails and 3 kids in the car and go) and when the wind is gusty (which lets face it, most spots are, especially onshore) the Hyper kicks but. I run it with 55cm fins down to 31cm.

You may be right in terms of the concentration required, however this is my 3rd season sailing it now, and there is certainly some merit in staying with a board to get the most out of it. Hyper excells with the RS Racing, infact the new RS Racing goes upwind like a truck, combined with a board that undoubtedly carries the most speed upwind, makes for an awesome combo.

Heres one important point I forgot to add, the Hyper doesn't have trippy rails! Infact someone forgot to put the rails on it........

The tuning of the hyper is very important

-race sail a must
-boom not to high
-right fin
-more rake on the sail the better
-adjustable outhaul

Get all this right and the boards speed, over distance, upwind-downwind, is about as good as it gets. So for the average bloke , what more could you ask for?

Agree, its all about fun on the water.

Last edited by Maximus; 9th November 2007 at 03:43 AM.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 06:57 AM   #9
qldsalty

I have to agree with Maximus. I've tested the Isonic 125 (1st one) against the Hypersonic 111. It plained earlier but in medium conditions I couldn't get upwind. He was screaming upwind while I got spin out if I pushed it.
In racing over the figure of 8 course, the isonics have the same speed on the downwind leg. If it gets rough the Hyper is quicker. That may be because I can ride the board faster through chop than the Isonic riders due to skill level. I can't be sure. What is certain and has stopped me upgrading is after the 1st Gybe the next leg is slightly upwind. This is where the Hyper leaves the Isonic for dead. In the most recent races we had I started of the line 2nd last twice due to bad starts. I ended up fourth both times as I could fly upwind and past most of the fleet on the two upwind legs. This is no surprise really.
What is surprising is the chop on the lake had never been as bad as it was and I could overtake the Isonic's on the downwind ( Slighty off the wind) run. Even in the gybes where Hyper's are meant to be harder I could get past the Isonics who seemed to bounce heavily out of the chop. These were 111 and 101 Isonics.
We don't have a test board this year so I can't compare the newer version, but until it covers 6.7 and 8.4 in an overall ( Not just off the wind)run up and off the wind I can't justify the update. I have had over 20 different starboards now, as I love to get the latest, but can't bring myself to part with the Hypersonic. My wife is cheering as it is three years now and I still haven't sold of my big board.
Old 9th November 2007, 08:10 AM   #10
Screamer

qldsalty & Maximus

Someone reading these comments might think that the slalom development is going downhill after Hyper was discontinued ;-)
.... which is not true of course. I've sailed hyper for three seasons, sometimes in downright stupid conditions. Sails from 5.x to 9.0. Almost Formula-like angles. And, for all its qualities, there is a reason all pros (and many others) moved to iSonics. If you regularly beat iSonics in races, that's fine. But I suspect it's only because you know your boards so well (sailor skill difference), not because hyper is necessarily better.

Listen to the man:
".....a higher level of performance (where the iS kicks butt), albeit at a compromise in overall range (where the HS kicks butt).
And slowly that compromise on the range factor is being reduced, too."

That's what we all want to hear ;-)

Fair winds
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote