Old 1st November 2007, 10:05 AM   #1
jamel09

Default help deciding on a board

I am thinking about getting a hypersonic 111L but i am not sure if the board will be able to perform in light winds. I weigh 145lbs. and i have a sail size around 6.0 meters.
THanks for all of the help
jamel09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 05:04 PM   #2
crazychemical

i don't think the volume should give u any problems in light winds, just gotte buy a bigger sail i guess
Old 1st November 2007, 07:56 PM   #3
PGVirtual

Jamel,

It really depends on how you define "light wind". Is it wind strong enough for planing, or is it wind for displacement sailing? What windrange (in knots)?

PG
Old 2nd November 2007, 05:22 AM   #4
jamel09

the windspeed is about 15knts
jamel09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:34 AM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Jamel09,
The Hyper 111 will get you going on a 6.0 m2 rig in about 13-14 knots at your weight.
Be advised, the Hypersonics are not for everyone.
They are a little finicky and can be frustrating, but once you get them figured out they are fast, stay on plane seemingly forever, and will get you going pretty darn early.
If you had a 7.0-7.2 m2 freerace or slalom rig, you could get going even a bit earlier than 15 knots (more like 12 at your weight with good skills).
Whatever you do, don't judge the Hyper 111 (you could do nicely with the 105 or 96 at your 145 lb. (65.7 Kg.)) by your first couple of time out on it.
It takes a while to figure out what makes the Hypers go and what makes them fly.
It won't be quite like any board you have probably sailed, but give it a few sessions to
"grow on you" and you will most likely love the Hyper.
It's a very wide range board for flat water.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:26 AM   #6
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

I used to weigh that much and with a 7.6 I could get going really early (12ish knots) with a 7.6 no problem. I just appreciate my hypersonic so much. Especially now that I have the jibing of them nailed. They do hesitate a bit on the initiation part. But OH MAN. They plane forever and upwind/across/downwind they go super fast. I actually got my first planing jibe on my hypersonic 111 yesterday and surprisingly i wasn't that powered!

But as roger said, they are a different type of board. They are super short, allowing for crazy pivoting action. Takes some time to get used to. Constantly having to push with the front foot so it doesn't stall I found at first. They also tend to bounce around in chop with the speed they go. But luckily, i found you tend to very rarely spin out.

As for a 6.0... You will probably get frustrated at first with a 6.0 in 15 knots. I have a 5.8 Ezzy Wave, which I used yesterday in id say 16-20 knots and it was really good. Luckily I finally really understand what makes the hyper tick. But learning it is challanging for sure. I find the straps on the WAY outboard and back position to be the best for early planing. I am one of the fastest planers at my spot if we are all on 7.5's and the bigger boards. yet im on a 111 L board. Its so efficient! GET IT!

Thomas

Last edited by windsurferdagg; 2nd November 2007 at 09:29 AM.
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 07:23 PM   #7
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Jamel09,

I'm 183 cm x 65 kg/6' x 147 lbs as well and own a HS105 since 5 years. Please find below my wind range :

7-12 knots : Code Red 2 11.0 + Select RS7 55 cm fin
10-15 knots : NP RS2 8.2 + Select Elite S03 32 cm fin or Fin's race 40 cm fin
15-20 knots : NP RS1 6.6 + Select Elite S03 32 cm or Deboichet speed slalom 26 cm fin
20-25 knots : NP NR 5.4 + Deboichet speed slalom 26 cm fin

Go for HS111 if you're ready for a pretty technical race/slalom board la mini-Formula (triming, planing, jibing) but I'm not sure a 6.0 sail is enough as of 15 knots wind ?

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 2nd November 2007 at 07:27 PM.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote