Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 4th November 2007, 04:27 PM   #1
crazychemical

Default theoretic lessons on wave sailing

Hey Roger and all the others,

Now that i'm at uni i have the opportunity to go windsurfing a bit more then before buuuuuut the bloke i met that sails aswell does wavesailing and seeing as he's got a van i don't have a lot to say .... so i was wondering wether you can give me a few pointers on wavesailing vs slalom/freeride which i know is a world of difference. I know i have to watch the back of my board more to compensate for the waves and such but anything else i need to be cautious about. And what about waterstarting in waves (i'm talking realwave stuff, no Ho'okipa or North Shore stuff, but more like Northsea wavies of max 2 meters, which is pretty serious stuff seeing as i usually go out at sea with chop of like 70 cm high to go blasting); i was in Leucate two months ago with 8 bft so i know how small sails are to be handled (and i experienced the 'too big fin' problem .... riding a mistral flow 284 with a stock fin on a 4.0 was a really really bad idea, but they didn't have smaller fins so i had to) and i did waterstarts in waves of 1 meter or so but those were waves in the midle of the lake without any 'foam' on them so easy to handle if you just time them right.
Also how do i keep my first few rides safe .... would something like a camero impact vest or some sort of a crashvest help? I'll probalby be riding a 90 L board (i found a real nice F2 second hander which i might buy, and i think i can borrow my mates 90L for a while), or my own 113 L depending on the conditions (i'm a heavy sailor, 90 K +)

Any tips and pointers are welcome,

cheers all,
Old 5th November 2007, 08:29 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hello Haiko,
I think there's alot more to wave sailing than you are aware of.
I'd suggest getting your own wave boards and rigs, or having lot's of
money to replace/repair any gear you borrow as the waves are going to
break some masts, possibly some boards, and trash your sails.
Make sure all the gear you get is "wave rated", or it will break very easliy.
Learn to chicken jibe, and spend alot of time learning to read the waves so you can get out through them.
Even shoulder high waves pack alot of power and you can't easily just "sail out" through breaking waves and lots of whitewater (the "soup" that forms after a wave pitches over and "breaks".
The right kind of board, and good technique can get you out past the breaking waves fairly quickly, but expect to spend some time in the "wash cycle" getting both your board and rig "rolled".
Best you can do is get on the end of the mast and just wait until the set of waves goes by, then organize a waterstart and go back to working your way out between the sets if possible.
Remember, if you borrow gear and take it into the waves and it breaks, you need to be able to replace it.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 01:25 AM   #3
crazychemical

ok .... waiting for a better slalom controle then what's a chicken jibe?
I'll wait till i get enough money together for a second hand wave board, been looking for a 90 L board to complete my range anyway.
Thanks tho!

cheers
Old 6th November 2007, 02:50 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi CC,
A "chicken jibe" is the quick jibe you do when you see a wave coming your way that you aren't going to be able to:
sail over it before it breaks.....
sail over to the unbroken shoulder of the peak of the wave to get past it.....
sail up and over the whitewater that rolls in after the wave breaks.....
In other words, you "chicken out" and jibe quickly and sail toward shore to hopefully outrun the wave.
If you sail in the surf alot, you will learn to do chicken jibes when necessary.
As you ability to judge waves and your skills improve, you will do fewer chicken jibes, but at first, they will be your best defense against spending alot of time in the wash cycle and breaking alot of gear as a result of too much time in the wash cycle.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote