Old 16th September 2006, 03:27 PM   #1
rod_r

Default Carrying gear to the water

Hi Roger

Not sure this will make it since i can see "sticky thread" and " you are not authorised to view this forum" messages on this page....

Anyway....I have been carrying my gear to the water pretty much the same way for the last 4 years and I now realise i may have been doing it all wrong!

Imagine standing in the V created by the board and sail, board to your left facing forward and sail to your right mast closest to you.

I have been picking up the board using the far side front footstrap but yesterday I picked up my FF158 using the near side front footstrap by mistake and discovered the board and rig was much easier to handle.

Using the near side front strap makes the board sit flat and parallel to the ground and better supports the end of the mast, and generally makes the whole package much more ridgid and stable.

The only down side I can see is that the lower luff of the sails sits hard against the top of the board and any excessive movement between the two could cause the luff to abraid on the non-skid.

Which way do you use?
rod_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Carrying gear to the water

Hi Rod,
Hmmmm... where did you see "sticky" thread and "you are not authorized to post".
It came right up as a normal thread for me.
As far as which way to carry your board, there probably isn't a "universal answer" to the right way. So I do not think yoiu've been
"doing it wrong" for 4 years.
It's one of those "whatever works" things, nor really right or wrong.
The "best" way can vary with the width of the board, the conditions (how windy etc.) the size of the board and rig.
I normally carry my boards by the upper front footstrap, with the board
pretty much on edge with the fin facing away from me and the bottom of the board upwind.
The rig is downwind, so a sudden gust won't flip the rig over on top of you and slam your board to the ground.
No reason you couldn't carry it by the nearside footstrap, if that works for you and there are no safety issues for you or others on the beach.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 02:48 PM   #3
rod_r

Hi Roger

I have been carrying my board the way you describe.

Regarding posting text.

Underneath the usual "Welcome rod_r..., Edit profile..., Posts: ...." lines, I get the long narrow grey subject bar which has "Sticky Thread" to the left of it and the large grey text box which I am writing in now with "You are not authorised to view this Forum" to the left of it.

Then after the smiley and attachment options down the bottom I can choose between a "Threads" or "Last post" grey box to click to enter my post, ( which is a bit confusing).

Anyway, as long as the message is getting through that's the main thing.

regards,

rod
Old 17th September 2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Russell

Hi Rod.

I get exactly the same as you when wanting to reply to a thread. It is very confusing but it still works.

When carrying a wide board I hold the near side foot strap keeping the board flat. I am not very tall so if I carry it the more conventional way the board touches the ground unless I realy lift with my arms. With a wave board I carry it the normal way. If I carry a fourmula board I just have problems, the only way is above my head.

Russell
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 10:00 PM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Rod and Russell,
OK, it may take me a few days, but I will ask Tony and Ian (the IT guru's working on getting the "disconnects" out of the new web server) to investigate why you might be getting the "sticky thread" error.
Mine comes up with all the std. "rply boxes" you describe, but I get a separate box just above the "smileys" that says "quick reply" and that's what I've been using most often.
I've only seen a few "sticky threads" (threads that remain at the top of the list and are "stuck" there purposefully so our members will see them at the top and hopefully take note of the content) and they've been "stuck" by the administrators.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 03:57 AM   #6
rod_r

Hi guys

I'll use the quick reply box.

Russell, I agree wide boards seem to be easier to carry using the near side front strap. You don't have to lift the whole thing as high to clear the rail off the ground which seems to put a lot less stress on my lower back. The only snag is keeping my 70cm fin off the ground :-).

It also seems to make the whole thing more locked together which makes it easier to control in the wind.
Old 18th September 2006, 04:07 PM   #7
Monty

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 04:10 PM   #8
Monty

Sorry guys, just trying to get used to the new forum format
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote