Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 6th January 2008, 11:06 PM   #11
mark h

When I say it feels big, Its just a personal thing/taste, but for me at 105kg (I sail on pretty flat water most of the time), the iS111 is a medium wind board (7.8 & 9m) Once its 6.8 & 6.4m winds, I'm either on my iS76 (or Sonic 90), admitedly, the iS86 would have been a better choice. Just seems weird using a 68cm/108 litre slalom board in 25 to 28k winds, but yes it will do it. AA used 7.8/111 this session alot in 25 k winds but I'm sure that with the new PWA rules, riders will be on the proper kit.
Cheers
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 02:00 AM   #12
Ken

I have had 5 sessions on my new 111, using sails from 7.5 to 5.7 in winds from 12 to 20+ knots. I bought the board primarily for 7.5 sailing, with occasional 8.5 or 6.5 usage. It worked well with the 5.7 in 20+ knots, but a little scary. 7.5 felt best with the board. I really like the board, but am having one big problem. Some of you may have some suggestions.

I am having difficulty getting into the back straps cleanly. I can't get enough weight on the front foot to smoothly move the back foot into the strap. With the straps so far out on the rail, it's hard to hit the strap cleanly with my foot. I even rotated the rear straps, moving the front screw to the inside insert and the rear screw on the outside insert, hoping it would give me a better angle to get my foot in the strap. It has helped, but I almost always head up into the wind trying to get in back strap.

Also, the straps are too small. This is partially because of my moving the front screws into the inside inserts. I have them as big as I can get them, but with winter booties, it's pretty tight. My heals drags in the water occasionally, so I have to rotate my feet somewhat to keep them out of the water. I have sailed Formula for 6 years so I have had plenty of time with outboard straps, but I must say that getting into the back straps cleanly on a formula board is a bit of challenge too.

Great gybing, accelerates quickly, fast and exciting. As with any new board, one has to figure out the tuning and technique.

The smaller Drake fin (38cm) seems small. Lots of spin out which I can probably reduce by putting less pressure on the back foot. Takes practice. I have used the larger fin (44cm) on all but one outing and like the size much better. I weigh 80kg. I may consider a custom fin, but will be using the board mostly for free sailing so I will probably stick with the Drake fins for awhile.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 04:14 AM   #13
mark h

Hi Ken
I'm in size 12 boots at the moment (The waters got real cold now). I'm using the outer plugs for the footstraps & dont seem to get any heal drag.

Getting back foot in:
Next time your out, try swinging forward at the hips to keep the board bearing off the wind. This will also keep your back foot nice & light. Also, look down wind, dont look down at your feet.

Heal drag:
I'd take a look at your boots, they might be real thick, maybe 5mm or more. The soles & toe-cap area might have to much grip making it hard to slide your feet in (theres also alot of grip on SB new deck pads). They will get smoother with wear & tear. I hate new winter boots for these reasons and usually attack them with a piece of wet & dry sand paper (weird I know, but does smooth things out).

Spin-out:
Try moving your harness lines back a few centre meters, you might have them to far forward & in turn putting to much juice through the back hand (which will load your back leg up to much). Another way to accidently load the back leg up is using to shorter lines (try longer lines) or boom set to high (try it slightly lower, ex-formula might mistake). Try playing around with these settings to get the iS111 tuned in.

Have fun

Last edited by mark h; 9th January 2008 at 04:04 PM.
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 11:49 PM   #14
Ken

Thanks Mark,

My booties are 5mm and quite old, but not very thick for 5mm boots. Anyway, I will have to make do.

In regards to spin out - On my 6.5 sail and up, I have adjustable harness lines, so no extra pressure on the back hand. I do have the booms pretty high, so I may try it a little lower. My lines are pretty long too, carry over from Formula.

Given all my formula sailing, I am pretty used to a lot of back foot pressure, so I think I just have to make the appropriate adjustments to avoid spin out. Where I have been sailing, it's pretty choppy and the board gets a little air quite often, so with the normal pressure on the back foot, I frequently get spin out. Again, just have to adjust to the new board.

I have to admit that I have never been comfortable getting into the back foot strap of any board while bearing off after a jibe. Mental issue with getting launched over the front of the board with all my weight on the front foot.

Regardless, thanks for your suggestions.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote