Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th January 2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Crash

Default Would a bigger sail be an advantage?

Hi I find myself using my Apollo most of the time in fact Im often the only person on the water on my local lake in light winds.
In light wind conditions I use Point-7 AC 2 sail 9.7 meters with the standard 75 cm fin 100% carbon boom and mast with an adjustable out haul. I weigh 75 kilo.
considering my weight would I gain much light wind performance by getting a larger sail, in which case what is the best larger light weight sail for a 520 mast?
Would a even bigger fin 80cm be an advantage.
Would an adjustable down haul be a advantage?
Crash
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Chris Pressler

Hi Crash,
I would recommend you not to go for a bigger fin. Stay with the 75, but for sure you can increase the light wind performance with a bigger sailsize, like a 11 m big sized sail. But you will need a bit longer mast than a 520. Otherwise you can try to adjust you 9,7 with vario outhauls, a super wide boom in the end.. Play a bit with the mastbase position and your pumping technique,

Have fun and find it out,

Chris Pressler
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 03:17 AM   #3
Crash

Thanks Chris just wondering then whats the largest sail that will rig on a 520 mast plus a long mast base, anyone any recommendations? Maybe a Tushingham Lightening 10.3 but thats not much of a increase for the expense of a another sail.
Thanks
Crash
Old 20th January 2008, 06:26 AM   #4
Pacs

Send a message via MSN to Pacs Send a message via Yahoo to Pacs

Hello,

11m Severne Overdrive work with a 520 mast plus a (so big) mast extension.

Best regards,

Paco

Last edited by Pacs; 22nd January 2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: my english is not good and i said "base" when i want to say "extension"
Pacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 07:00 AM   #5
stingray

and so would mauisails ms-2 11.0, but the main issue would be mast compatability (bend curve).
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 02:13 AM   #6
Crash

Smile

Hi the mast I have is a Gastra Ignition Race 520 100% carbon IMACS 34. Not the lightest but performs OK with the Point 7 AC-2 9.7M sail.
Anyone use adjustable down hauls ? I see the +15s training and they all use them on their RSXs?
Chris mentions pumping technique I must admit I just climb into the foot straps and drop my weight through the mast foot and off I go!
Old 23rd January 2008, 02:17 AM   #7
Britt

Hi,

That mast would be perfect for the 11m Maui Sails MS-2. Yes you would increase your early planing, plus that sail is very sweet.

An adjustable downhaul is not that important on a shortboard, even as big of a one as the Apollo. RSX is a bit different as they are looking for every little advantage around the course whether they are planing or displacing.

Britt
Britt is offline   Reply With Quote