Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 25th December 2007, 08:08 PM   #1
ignoramus

Default Successor of Acid 62?

Hi all
I'm sailing the Acid 62 for years and I'm still very happy with it. But it's old and I think it will 'die' soon.
But which board is it's successor? Is it the EVO 62 (same volume, but different line) or the PA 68 (same line, but different volume) ? Which one is closer to the old Acid 62?

I'm 60 kilo's, sailing in sideshore wave conditions with sails from 4.5 to 5 and
wave heights from 1m to 5m ()

Thanks for help

Last edited by ignoramus; 26th December 2007 at 05:30 PM.
ignoramus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 05:46 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Well, size wise, the EVO 62 is successor, but it is a very different board. Nice, but different from your A62. f you're looking for something closer to what you have now, I would take a look a the Pure Acid 68. Its a bit bigger in volume, but still a very compact feeling board and I don't think you will find it lacking in bigger waves.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 08:58 PM   #3
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus View Post
Hi all
I'm sailing the Acid 62 for years and I'm still very happy with it. But it's old and I think it will 'die' soon.
But which board is it's successor? Is it the EVO 62 (same volume, but different line) or the PA 68 (same line, but different volume) ? Which one is closer to the old Acid 62?

I'm 60 kilo's, sailing in sideshore wave conditions with sails from 4.5 to 5 and
wave heights from 1m to 5m ()

Thanks for help
Not to sway away from starboards but I recently got an Angulo Chango 65 to complement my Acid 2007 74 and it is a very nice small high wind board. Nice narrow width (51 cm), combined with very slightly wider tail (32 one foot of), short length (242), very light. (A bit of fresh air away from this rush to wider and wider and wider and wider boards.) The season is dead right now in San Francisco and I only used it once in powered 4.5-4.7 conditions but I was very impressed: for my weight of 68Kg it worked great.

If you are in north america you can get one at half price at http://www.windance.com/default.asp?...ngulo%20chango

Last edited by davide; 4th January 2008 at 11:38 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:52 AM   #4
carvesalot

Thanks for the advise on the Angulo, I'm looking at the Acid but this gives me another option.
Old 18th January 2008, 04:22 AM   #5
Jean-Marc
TEAM

PA68 is closer to Acid 62 than Evo62 in how to drive it and how it feels underfoot. Evo62 is a very different animal for sure than Acid 62. Volume only is misleading; shape is key IMHO. I just love the narrow width and tail of Acid62 for my lightish 65 kg weight. That of Evo 62 makes it kind of a bumpy ride for hardcore freeriding in nasty chop. PA68 narrow width and tail should be nicer for a 60 kg rider in serious chop.

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 18th January 2008 at 04:29 AM.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 01:04 PM   #6
merryfrankster

I'm 66 kg and have two Acids: 62 wood, and 66 DRAM. Like you, I sail sideshore, mellow to good size, 4.0 to 5.0. It doesn't make sense to me that *board has stopped making boards of this size. A 68-liter board in my favorite conditions or in any kind of serious chop would seem... scary. If both my boards were lost and I had to buy another one today, I would get a Quatro 63.
merryfrankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 02:44 PM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

Boujmaa is very light. He uses both the E62 and the PA68 now, but maybe some new small boards will be developed together with him. I know he works on the E62 (and has been for some years) but I don't know what his visions are for other types of boards.

But again, the PA 68 is a really good boards. I have a friend at 65kg or something that loves it. Also in 3.5 conditions. I would personally choose the 68 over both the A62 and A66.
Old 19th January 2008, 01:23 PM   #8
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryfrankster View Post
I'm 66 kg and have two Acids: 62 wood, and 66 DRAM. Like you, I sail sideshore, mellow to good size, 4.0 to 5.0. It doesn't make sense to me that *board has stopped making boards of this size. A 68-liter board in my favorite conditions or in any kind of serious chop would seem... scary. If both my boards were lost and I had to buy another one today, I would get a Quatro 63.
At some point in these pages the rumor was that the Acid 74 (an abundant "big nose" 74 liters, 54.5 wide and almost 34 tail) was good for 4.0 and below for a sub-70Kg sailor. I got quite scared indeed when I tried it.

... I am glad to hear sailors that are actually concerned about an Acid 68 (not 74!!!!!) in those conditions. In my opinion for an expert level (non-pro) lightweight when things get rough a sub-52 wide (narrow, please!) sub 70L board is quite a must ... the acid 68 might still be too big (but I never tried it) and that is why (better safe then sorry) I picked a smaller high-wind board

Last edited by davide; 20th January 2008 at 12:35 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 08:31 PM   #9
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
.. the acid 68 might still be too big (but I never tried it) and that is why (better safe then sorry) I picked a smaller high-wind board
That's exactely i'm afraid of. 68 is 10% more than the 62. That's like changing from a 74 Acid to a 80 !
So maybe best is to repaire my loved Acid 62 and wait for a new 'real small' board of *board.....
ignoramus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 09:06 PM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

Ignoramus and others. Just a thought: I sailed the EVO 62 yesterday in 3.5-4.2 sail size winds. It was choppy and onshore waves up to maybe 3m. As, I've noted many times before, the EVO 62 is really perfect in these conditions. The compactness makes it handle high winds gusts and chop exceptionally well and the "EVO-style" makes it much easier to ride frontside and hit the lip in the kind of onshore conditions than a "classic" wave board.

For anyone that likes a classic feel and rides predominantly big fast and clean wave, the E62 might be a less interesting option, but if you're light and are in "real world" high wind conditions, the EVO 62 is actually an amazing board.

Just as a reminder....