Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 31st January 2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Per

Default iSonic 144 vs. formula.

Hi
I have a formula 159. I sail it with a 10.3 Tushingham Lightning.
My next board when the wind comes up is an Aero 127. I use the Aero mostly with a 6.5 wave(ish) sail with which it's quite good and loose. I have an 8,5 sail which works ok on the Aero but I don't want to spend too much time on switching fin and strap position when the wind goes up and down and the Aero is not really a blaster.
The Aero will have me going (with a smile) around 18 knots of wind.
The formula will work here but it's not really what I want.

Soo... Would an iSonic 144 with an 8.5 sail be a nice bet for a board inbetween the Aero and the formula?
Could I switch the formula for a bigger iSonic?
I'm 97 kgs and quite experienced.

;-)
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 01:36 AM   #2
Ken

Per,

I spent the last 6 years jumping from a formula board down to a 105 L bump and jump board. I would sail the formula, going down to my 8.5 sail at times, until I could easily plane on a 6.5 on the 105 L board.

I weigh 80 kg, so my experience will be a little different than yours. I decided that I wanted something to fill the gap (6.5 to 8.5 sail range) and decided on a new IS111, which I have been on 5 times, using my 7.5, 6.5 & 5.8. The 7.5 works really well with the board even though it is only 108 L. I haven't tried the 8.5 yet.

In your case, I would think the IS 144 is a bit too big, too close to the formula. The 133 is a better choice, but even the 122 can carry up to a 9.5 sail. The 122 may be a sinker for a 97kg fellow.

On the other hand, if you don't want to be on the formula very much and want the new board to work well in the lighter winds (12-15 knots), then the 144 may be your answer.

Hope this helps.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Per

Thanks Ken.

Maybe you're right. I didn't consider the 122 as it's got almost the same volume as my Aero 127. On the other hand the iSonic 122 is probably a seriousely more aggressive board and it will even work with a 6.5 sail (even though my 6.5 is not a racer it's quite efficient, I've done + 30 knots with it on my ST 115).
The 8.5 will match the 122 quite well. Don't know if I wlll plane in 16-18 knots??

;-)
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Ken,

Are you going to race under the 85cm wide rules?

All the best
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Ken

Remi,

It's Per that is asking about the IS 144 and I don't know if he is racing or not.

Per,

My 111 has essentially the same volume as my bump and jump, but its width and design allows it to carry a much larger sail. My 105 board doesn't sail well with anything larger than my 6.5. My 7.5 is out of balance on the board.

For your weight, I can't say if the 122 will plane or not with an 8.5 in 16 to 18 knots. Maybe Remi can help with this question. However, I would think that the 133 should plane in those conditions, especially if you have good pumping skills.

A 6.5 on the 122 should work if you have enough wind (25-30 knots). I used a 5.8 on my 111 a couple of times with no problem (22+ knots).

You might consider the Futura if you are not slalom racing. They are probably a bit more user friendly for freesailing, but will be slower to plane because they are narrower in the tail.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote