Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 3rd February 2008, 03:39 PM   #1
OceanBlue64

Default Weed Fins

I have had a 155lt Go for about 6 weeks now and love it! Its my first go at windsurfing and am already planing in harness and footstraps

Most of the places I sail are very weedy and I desperately need a weed fin. My question is: What size fin should I get?

I am currently sailing with a 5.8 sail and will be looking at getting a larger sail for lighter conditions.
OceanBlue64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 02:08 AM   #2
steveC

Hi OceanBlue64,

I would recommend checking out Wolfgang Lessacher's website. In my opinion, his carbon Duo Weed fins are some of the best on the market. His website does offer some size recommendations that will offer you a rough guide of sorts, and I've found that he's quite helpful if more information is needed.

http://www.cameraid.com/Lessacher/
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Lessacher

HalloOcean Blue 64 ! 36cm Duo Weedfin, asymm.fin .100% carbon. Please have a look:
www.Designlessacher.com.
If you need help,mail me. Wolfgang
Lessacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 02:55 AM   #4
James

Ocean Blue- Where do you live?

I would use a weedfin of at least 40 cm depth; possible as large as 50 cm depth. Very wide-tailed boards like the Go require long fins to trim correctly, even with smallish sails like a 5.8. It has to do with leverage. If you got a too-short weedfin, like 36 cm, it will be hard to stand in the footstraps without the board tilting sideways and your heels dragging in the water.

Good luck.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 08:26 AM   #5
steveC

Hi James,

While I have found some brands/designs require real large fins when talking weedfins, frankly, Lessacher's fins don't require as much length, despite the fact they are raked at 45 degrees, and are not set forward in the cavity box. Quite honestly, a 20" True Ames SB Weed offered no better performance than a 34cm Lessacher Duo Weed, and the latter was truly more rangy in my book.

Things aren't always what they seem.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi all,
I have to agree with Steve here, as the 40 cm Lessacher Duo Weed is pretty good on wide formula type boards.
Also, for James, the new GO 155 is only 85 cm wide (almost like the original GO which was 83 cm wide).
Here's the specs (same as the Futura 155) except for the weight due to the heavier Tufskin construction.
GO 155 155 250 85.0 58.9
So, I think the 36 cm Lessacher Duo, a 39 cm Tangent Dynamics Reaper, or a True Ames Shallow Water Weed 39-44 cm will do a very good job on the Go/Futura 155.
I guess the choices are partly dependent on the severity of the weed conditions
and rig size. For rigs larger than 9.0, then a really large (more than 42 cm) weed fin
becomes a good idea as you want the extra span and area to get the best light wind
planing performance.
The Lessacher Duo sheds pretty much all weeds due to the asymmetical design.
The Tangent Reapers handle all but the weediest conditions and the True Ames
Shallow Water do just as well as well.
The True Ames and Tangent Reapers are progressive rake designs that feature a ramp, then a progressive rake to a slightly more vertical LE angle.
With more chord width at the tip of the fin, they give the same (or better) performance
on wider boards, using a shorter fin span (depth), and they do not stick way out behind the board like more tradition 45-50 deg. LE weed fins.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 06:14 PM   #7
OceanBlue64

Thanks for all your replies. My biggest problem is its fairly shallow in a lot of places I sail so I want to get the smallest fin possible without losing too much performance.

I am going to try a 34cm Select Weed fin as these have a fairly large surface area for their depth and arent too expensive if it doesnt work as well as I want.

I like the look of Lessacher's fins but I think they would be quite a bit more expensive and seeing as this is my first board and I will probablly move to a smaller one next season, I dont want to spend too much on this rig.
Old 5th February 2008, 11:44 PM   #8
James

I'll vouch for the 39 cm True Ames shallow water weed fin that Roger recommends- I have one myself and use it to good effect on a 70 cm wide board. I imagine it would be ok on an 85 cm wide board, too.

Personally, I think the 34 cm Select Weed fin is going to be too small, but windsurfing is about experimentation, so please go ahead and try it and let us know how it works out.

Roger- Will you be at windfest in the OBX this year? I'm looking forward to it. I'll be bringing a group of newbies, and hope to try a Futura or a Kombat for myself.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 12:51 AM   #9
Lessacher

Hallo Ocean Blue 64! At first, if you read my homepage , you can read , that I live in Germany. The next is. 36cm vertical are diagonal 50cm long. They are wider than a upright
fin.And be sure, when I write that 36cm is okay, than is that so. I think, I did all it to help.
But you should read. Shallow water have we enough in Strand Horst. Some use here your
board with 28cm Formula Weedfin, its winter and only 40cm water the first 300m.You wrote,
They looks expensive,got you a price from me? No, I learned with good 60 years to mail.
Sorry: MADE IN GERMANY is not always a question of money. Wolfgang
Lessacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 05:01 AM   #10
OceanBlue64

Hi Lessacher,
All I meant by your fins being a little more expensive is that as I am in Australia, with the Aussie $ against the Euro and adding freight costs, it would make your fins a little more expensive than buying something here. Unfortunately having spent most of last year in and out of hospital has meant that my windsurfing budget will be very tight for a little while yet.