Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 14th February 2008, 08:08 PM   #51
AlexWind

I don't want to go too much off topic but at 1.1.2002 the following EU member states have implemented this EU Directive: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany The Netherlands, Norway, Italy and Sweden. The others have done that after this date or are implementing that directive by now.

Uk has done it on with the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulation Act 2002, valid from 31 March 2003, and I want to add that UK's time limit to make a warranty for initial defect product is still regulated by a previous law which states the time limit is of 6 years.

That's of course what law says. And it's only waiting for a lawyer windsurfer failure :-)

In general speaking if the things can go ok without laws and lawyers but only with good sense and efficient work by the two parts it's always better.
AlexWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 12:30 AM   #52
Phill104

I understand the Sale of Goods Act. It would also take a good lawyer to make some of it stand in court and would be expensive.

In the UK as I'm sure you are aware, it is a small industry. Most customers are friends of the dealers or at least on first names. Many are struggling. I would feel guilty about taking them to court and I'm sure many others would too. Taking the distributors to court would be expensive and take a lot of effort. Taking the manufacturers to court would be nearly impossible.

If a brand is that bad the customer will soon move to a different product. In a small industry such as windsurfing this is bad news and has seen a number of brands either change distributor or no longer exist in the UK. Just a few sales can be make or break for some brands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 01:32 AM   #53
AlexWind

Yeah I know it's expensive and in the 99% of the cases you won't even think about taking anyone to a court for that, that's why I said that this action could be taken only be a windsurfing lawyer..
That's how most things go here, I suppose it's not much different abroad..
Old 15th February 2008, 02:37 AM   #54
Phill104

I wonder what the actual percentage of warranty claims is for each type of product.

I bet boards are quite low. Sails are probably quite low too.

Things like booms and masts are probably higher and the hardest to prove fault.

From personal experience wetsuits are probably high. I've had a few fail. One had winter suit had no stitching at the groin, another wore through at the groin within 3 uses and one came apart at the zip due to poor stitching. I've seen a lot of dry zips fail to but proving misuse ore failiure proved difficult.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15th February 2008, 04:36 AM   #55
Bill

Exclamation A little knowledge is dangerous

wow! we appear to have people with limited legal experience who have managed without the full facts of this case to have apparently come to a judgement.
Old 15th February 2008, 02:25 PM   #56
Phill104

Bill,

Neither myself nor Alexwind are judging this case but are talking general warranty terms. As you will see, I have not mentioned any brands but have tried to be generic.

I too feel than an online forum is the wrong place for people to vent their frustrations which is what appears to be going on here. Feelings run high when a consumer feels let down.

Old 16th February 2008, 03:43 AM   #57
Bill

Wink Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill104 View Post

If NP are getting it wrong it's in their interests to get things right or they will eventually loose their customer base.
Phill104,

I respect your view and for me its one of the more balanced on this thread.

Sometimes though it's hard to be generic.
Old 16th February 2008, 06:56 AM   #58
AlexWind

Gosh I've nominated Porsche, I hope I hadn't do something wrong..

Anyway I'm not judgeing anything only doing some considerations that may be summed in:

- the NP response to the customer showed in the first post in not what a customer (or at least I) would expect from such a company

- the terms of warranty shown even in their website or told by the NP employee are in contrast with the EU law (directive and states law). Not fully legal IMHO.

After that, I'm not judgeing the case itself: maybe the poster has crashed into rocks and went over his mast with his car, i simply don't know and maybe it's not the point..
Not judgeing just showing my opinion, you're of course free to show yours, discuss, object, whatever..
Old 18th February 2008, 03:41 AM   #59
Bill

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWind View Post

Anyway I'm not judgeing anything

- the terms of warranty shown even in their website or told by the NP employee are in contrast with the EU law (directive and states law). Not fully legal IMHO.
Sounds like a judgement to me.

I disagree with your opinion but that's cool.

Good luck with your studies.
Old 18th February 2008, 08:10 PM   #60
JJay

Default How many???

It would be statistically interesting to know how many of the nearly 3 thousand people who have read this thread have had a NP mast break on them? The point should not be interpretations of law. The point should be about the mast inside your luff,,,,, right?

Relax and go fast.
JJay is offline   Reply With Quote