Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 19th December 2007, 09:39 AM   #1
raggy

Question hypersonic 105L

Hay guys I have just moved from a 123L carve & a 135L formula to a 105L hypersonic
the thing is that when I beach start it tends to round up on me.
once on the plain wow its fantastic.

thanks.
raggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 05:53 PM   #2
crazychemical

can you explain what you mean by it rounding up on you? Maybe you just need to place your rear foot more towards the centre of the board ...
Old 20th December 2007, 04:57 AM   #3
raggy

Hay It rounds up in to wind almost like I have a lack of mast foot pressure at that time
it's just stumped me as my other boards dont seem to have the same treate
I mean I know it's me just cant work out if I have to do some thing a little different
it's as i come up on to the board after a beach start once plaining its fantastic.
Old 20th December 2007, 08:14 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Raggy,
I think the reason you feel there's no mast foot pressure is because there really isn't any until you get up on the board, sheeted in some and hooked in.
Yes you can "steer" your board by pushing/pulling the rig to get it lined up correctly for a beach start (or a water start for that matter as it's really doing the same thing) but that's not true "mast foot pressure" as we speak of when you are up and planing, back in footstraps and hooked in.
So, my first (and perhaps best) guess is that you have somehow learned to position your board and push the rig up for a beach start and in this process you are depending on a little bit of "nose bite" (along the water line up forward from about the mast track and forward to stabilize the board's direction relative to the wind direction.
Unfortunately the Hypersonic is so short (and the nose is even shorter relative to the mast track position) that I think you probably aren't getting the same reaction from your board, so as you go to step up, it pulls under you a bit.
Also, as CC mentions, you may not be getting your foot near enough to the center of the board, so the board is responding to your foot being upwind of the centerline (the board is tipped slightly upwind rail down) by rounding up into the wind.
I'd suggest that you start off with the board pointing a little further off the wind. This will help until you adjust to the super short length and fairly wide width of the Hypersonic.
It's very different than your Carve, but I would think might have encountered some of the same issues on your Formula 135 ltr.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 10:20 AM   #5
raggy

Thanks Roger I am starting to think it's just going to mean some dedicated beach start
workouts marry xmas and happy sailing..
Old 8th January 2008, 12:47 AM   #6
Lessacher

Hallo raggy! I used always a 28cm weedfin, rake 45°. More time to come in the footstraps.And be sure , a weedfin is not slowelier. Read Martin van Moers: With a
rake 30° fin over 50 knots. I started always with my frontfoot in the footstrap, later with
the back foot. If it worked, okay, if not, good night.It was the board where I needed
th most pressure of my frontfoot.I think that it is easier for Roger to write something,
why it is easier with a weedfin.Please Roger and thank you.
Roger: Is for you a rake 30° fin a weedfin???????? Wolfgang
Lessacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 07:44 AM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Wolfgang, and raggy,
I don't have any real scientific basis, but I've always found that a 40°-50°Leading Edge (LE) weedfin to be more "forgiving".
You don't have to be quite so precise with the pressures and angles when you have the swept back fin with more area.
Do I consider a 30° LE fin a weed fin.....?
No!
I do know that a 30° LE is a Wolfgang Lessacher "Speed Fin" design, and has to be one of the fastest speed fin designs ever developed, especially when you put it under a board that Martin van Meurs is sailing.
But I don't think a really small fin (28 cm is small) will help raggy with his speinout problem until he learns to stay off the fin until he gets the speed up.
Then, like all tiny speed fin designs, you can hammer away on the fin.
But you have to get up to some speed where the little fin can develop enough lift to counteract a heavy rear foot.
I always just tried to "pressure" the fin a little as the speed increases, but if the fin feels
soft or kinda "mushy", I back off the pressure and gain a bit more speed and try again.
When the fin locks up solid, you can feel it, and then you can really push on even a very small fin.
Of course, on the courses that Martin sails, (i.e. beam reach and lower) you don't really need to push the fin much at all.
If you are sailing and trying to "go deep" you almost have to back off the fin pressure quite a bit to get the board to turn off the wind.
Hope this helps,
Old 12th February 2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Monty

Hi Wolfgang,
with a focus on optimum speed, what would your recommendation for weed fins be for the following;
Hypersonic 105 with KA Koncept 7.5m sail
Sonic 85 with Severn SSR 6.6m sail
Sonic 85 with Severn SSR 5.6m sail
Thanks
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Lessacher

Hallo Monty! With the Chamäleon 24cm made Dieter Gerichhausen 38,6 Topspeed. Ranking
place 87. Robert Seinen used a new rake 30° fin 25cm and made over 37 knots.
Wolfgang
Lessacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 10:07 PM   #10
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Wolfgang,
What sail sizes did Dieter and Robert use to post those speeds.
These speeds were both on Hypersonics?
Thanks,