Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 20th February 2008, 02:53 PM   #1
vanvanvan

Default short and wide specs

Hello there, I am ready to move from my first board (160 l / 80 width /268 length). I am doing in choppy conditions and look for a more maneuverable all rounder, about 120 litres. In these litres the average length is about 250 and the width 68. The futura 122 and the kombat 122 are the only freeride boards in the market that are quite short and wide. Can you please explain to me technically what that means? Short: planning in higher winds but going in a straight line and tacking might be difficult? Wide: easy planning and uphaul, stable but less maneuverable and bumpy in chops.
Thanks thanks thanks
Ps I am thinking of going for the kombat having in mind that I will keep it for years though it might be difficult at first.What to expect from 235 length?

Last edited by vanvanvan; 20th February 2008 at 04:37 PM.
vanvanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 02:15 AM   #2
Ken

Vanvanvan,

It would be helpful if you provided some more information -

Your weight?
Your skill level - Planing in the straps? carving jibes? water starts?
Sail sizes you are using?
What conditions do you sail in - what size sails in what wind speeds? (6.5 meter in 20knots)

With this information, someone will be able to help you.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 02:50 AM   #3
vanvanvan

Thanks for the quick answer. I am 80 kgs, planing, not in water starts since the current width allows me for easy uphaul. I have 4.5 and a 5.5 so i am always quite underpowered though i enter in 15-25 knots. I am not interested in keeping my current board using bigger sails in lower winds but to move to a less "platform" like board.
Though the starboards will help me as they are wide enough i just wonder how the short legth will feel?
vanvanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 04:22 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi vanvanvan,
The shorter/wider boards will not affect your sailing in anything but a positive manner.
Think about it....... How often do you (when you are planing) have any part of your board forward of the mast foot actually in the water?
Longer length really does nothing for you. It just adds "swing weight" which is not really a desireable characteristic.
If you can sail/plane on your current "160 l / 80 width /268 length" board, you will find the Futura 122 very easy to sail and to continue to advance your skills.
The Kombat 122 (122 l/ 235 length/ 72 width ) or the Futura 122 (122 l/ 244 length/71.5
width) will be very similar, but the Futura will most likely plane earlier, be easier to stay upwind on, but be a little less turny and loose.
Do not worry about the length, you'll love it on the shorter board!
But, you are going to need some larger sails (6.5 m2 & 7.5 m2 for sure)
if you want to plane in anything under about 18 knots, which is starting to be more wind than I'd want to sail a 122 liter board in.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 21st February 2008 at 04:44 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote