Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 9th March 2008, 10:24 PM   #1
seasharp

Default Foot straps on Futura, bad design?

Just bought a 133 Futura and can't sail it because of the foot straps. Where I sail the water is 6 degrees and I need to wear winter boots but the footstraps won't go big enough to allow for them. I only have size 42 feet so big feet isn't the problem. Is this a basic design flaw and do I have to buy new straps? The straps on my JP are no problem at all.
seasharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 12:23 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Straps are tight when new. By kneeding and pulling on them you can make them much bigger then what seems possible at first. For super big feet and boots it can still be problematic, but a your size it should work well.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 12:33 AM   #3
Phill104

I struggled the first time I used these straps. After a session or two I found myself tightening them up a bit as once they wore in a bit.

Tony, the owner of the shop at Brog puts a bar through them (an old cut down boom arm) and gives them a good few pulls. It seems to work well opening them up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 01:08 AM   #4
cj0ne

Default Phill is right

Tony has a great device a bit like a crow-bar but it does no damage.
Once you have stretched the straps and got them wet, store them with tennis balls stuffed in each time after use and they will gradually set like that.

.......alternatively fit some jp straps. They are hard to fault (sorry).
cj0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Pacs

Send a message via MSN to Pacs Send a message via Yahoo to Pacs
Lightbulb

Hello,

I sailed ok last week qwith the new Futura without straps problems.

My foot size is 42 but i have a wide foot so sometimes i have problems to find acurate shape shoes for my foot.

I sail with ATAN boots ( the easier boots/straps i ever used).

------------------
Try this:

- Release a bit straps screws.
- open all the velcros/zippers.
- Put your feet inside.
- Force with your foot to open the strap.
- Tight screws.

Releasing the straps screws allow neopren behind to strech a bit more and let you open more the straps.

Regards,

Paco
Pacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Seasharp,
When you installed the footstraps did you "spread them out" by one or two holes?
Are the straps too tight front to back or vertically.
They will open up an incredible amount UPWARD if you pull the velcro inner strap all the way loose, then really pull UP away from the board so the inner starp pulls back around the metal wire bail.
I have very wide sz 42 feet and even with thick bootes I have no problems with the footstraps on the Futura 133.
But, I ALWAYS install the footstraps with at least one hole extra as I find that if I can slide my foot fore and aft a little, and turn it so my heel pushes on the board a little more fore/aft I can trim the board out much better.
Footstraps are not like "ski bindings". They only need to hold your foot firmly to the board.
It's OK for your foot to be able to turn a little.
If you have no tried rear hole in the back to front hole in the front, please try it.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 01:10 AM   #7
Ken

I have an isonic (same straps), but the hole locations may be different than the Futura. However, I have 45/46 feet (US - 12) and the staps after 8 outings and several re-adjustments are still too tight with winter booties. They are OK but hopefully they will continue to stretch.

I haven't tried the crow bar except with my hand and arm.

The problem with the isonic is that the straps are so far outboard, so I have to rotate my feet in the straps to keep them from catching in the water.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 02:53 AM   #8
Phill104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
The problem with the isonic is that the straps are so far outboard, so I have to rotate my feet in the straps to keep them from catching in the water.
When I first sailed the iSonic I had the same trouble (I have size 44 feet). On analysing my sailing I was not keeping the board flat. I've now adjusted my stance and no more problem. It has also improved my sailing and top speed. All it took was a little more toe pressure on the back foot.

I now have 3 iSonics and love them all but the 87 is my favourite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 08:31 AM   #9
Ken

Phill104,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I have the board pretty flat, but I will try the toe pressure a bit more and see if it helps.

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 10:33 AM   #10
GEM

Angry

Starboard uses fine quality straps, it's the holes that are too close together.

The holes are fine for 42 wide, but for a 46 wide / 47, in booties, the only way I can get them to fit is to spend 30 minutes a strap taking them apart and trimming away the neoprene on the sides (i.e., right where the strap stick up from the board). The neoprene isn't really functional in this area anyway, if you wear booties.

The solution would be a third row of holes, at each end of the strap. Not much more weight, lots more functionality, still fewer holes than some boards.

The strap SETTINGS are one thing about Starboard that I detest.
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote