Old 20th February 2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Juju

Default which wave board ?

Hi all,

I am looking for a wave board to cover a wide range of waveriding conditions.

I am currently using an old classic 72L wave board (a side shore wave board which is about 9 years old !). As I am not student anymore, I can afford a new wave board ;-) !
I am 68 kg and I use 3.7 / 4.5 / 5.3 sail sizes.
I sail sideshore to sideonshore conditions, usually with strong winds and small waves. But I sometimes travel to places with big and fast waves which require down the line waveriding.

I am interested in the Acid 74L and the Evo 70L... and have a lot of questions !

- what about the behaviour of the Evo 70L with high wind conditions ? Would the width of the Evo be a drawback for high wind conditions with chop ? and for fast and big waves (big means from head high to overhead for me :-) ) ?

- on the other hand, what about the Acid 74L with low winds (5.3m2) and small waves ? Is it easy to keep speed in slow waves with the Acid as compared with the Evo ?

- which board is the best for jumping (front and back loops) ?

- for occasional flat water conditions, which board would be the most suitable to have fun doing some freestyle tricks ?

Thank you very much

Julien
Juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Hi Julien

The easy answer (and the true one) is that both EVO 70 and Pure Acid 74 will handle everything you describe beautifully.

But there are difference of course. An EVO will make it easier to hit the lip in slower waves and in side-onshore winds. Conversely, the PA 74 will feel more secure in down the line big wave conditions. But with the right techique, the EVO 70 will make really fast bottom turns and work very well in big waves. And the PA74 will turn quick and work well in slower conditions when you know how to work it.

I think both bords are kind of equal when it comes to jumping and freestyle. The PA is a nicer blasting board, but ince we're talking a wave board here, if blasting is not a major issue, I wouldn't choose boards judged on that. In high wind, I also think the b oards are kind of equal. The PA has more straightline stability and more control in that way. But the EVO is more damped and take hits better. Its a bit of a style issue what board that for a particular sailor will feel the most controllable. In 4.0 or 3.5 sailing, I personally prefer the E70, but others might think the PA74 is better.

So, in the end I think there are two ways thinking about this choice.

1. Choose by which board that will help you the most. If you rip big time in onshore and slow waves but have troubles holding a line in big wave, choose Acid. If you have an easy time in bigger waves but don't get the "flair" you want in on the more normal days, choose the EVO.

2. Choose by style. If you feel you don't have any specific areas where you need "extra help" you can choose more by how you like to wave ride. Both boards can pretty much be ridden any style, but "naturally" the EVO 70 has a more vertical style, wanting to come in under the lip etc. The Acid has a more fast carving style, prefering to go for a more drawn out bottom turn and follow up with a fast carving top turn. For example, I like to mix it upp with different kind of turns in my riding, but "at heart" I prefer when I can go vert. That is probably why I like my EVO 70 over all other boards, both for small slow waves at home in Sweden and for the cleaner bigger stuff on Maui where I am now (with my E70...)

I hope this helps. Otherwise, just ask again.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Ray Timm

I have both boards and agree with Ola's assessment of their merits. I'm quite a bit heavier at 85 kg and also prefer the E70 over the PA74 when the wind really picks up and the water gets rough. The E70 handles the big gusts by flowing with them never getting squirrelly.
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 01:19 AM   #4
Juju

Thank you very much Ola for your response. That makes things clearer to me.
Ray, do you use the E70 or PA74 for light wind conditions ?
Juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:15 PM   #5
Ray Timm

I tend to sail smaller boards than most people my size so I end up using both boards when most people would be on a the next size bigger. I find either board can carry my 5.3 Legend even though the E70 is rated for a maximum of a 5.0. Actually I think my the 70 planes up quicker than the 74, but this may be due to lots more time for me on the E70. I would guess that I start sailing either board when the wind is 18-20 knots.
Old 24th February 2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Screamer

Hey Ray
I expect a delivery of Acid74 any day now, and would like to hear your opinion on the other end of the range: I intend to use it mostly with sails 4.0-4.5, maybe 3.5 on mental days. No waveriding, but howling winds and lots of swell & psycho chop. I'm 85-88kg.

Thanks
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Ray Timm

I've sailed the 74 a couple of times with a 4.2 in extremely overpowered conditions in just the conditions you've described. It works , but you have to pay attention because the board is so reactive to one's input and extremely fast. And it has more of a locked in feeling than the E70. Since I'm an Evo convert from the beginning and much more used to sailing the E70 in overpowered conditions, I would always pick it when I'm on 4.2 or smaller. Last Thursday I used both boards for the entire day switching between them to see how they reacted in extremely windy conditions varying between 28-38 knots. The PA74 has the more exciting ride and has a razor like feel in the gybes and accelerates with each gust. The more I sailed it the better it got or maybe the better I sailed it, but for me when the wind was the strongest my E70 handled the sail and conditions better. It seems to flow with the gusts.
Old 27th February 2008, 01:55 PM   #8
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
Hey Ray
I expect a delivery of Acid74 any day now, and would like to hear your opinion on the other end of the range: I intend to use it mostly with sails 4.0-4.5, maybe 3.5 on mental days. No waveriding, but howling winds and lots of swell & psycho chop. I'm 85-88kg.

Thanks
I am 68Kg and the Acid 74 sails big for me. It is "big": 54.5 with a large tail and a volume that seems underestimated by a good few liters judging by its floatation. I was not comfortable at all in sub 4.2 conditions, nor I found it particularly good in heavy chop, it has a "big nose" that tend to catch on irregular/vertical chop. I ended up buying an Angulo Chango 65 (51 wide, 32 tail, nice!) that works much better in "psycho conditions". I am keeping the Acid 74 for moderate high-wind conditions 4.5-5.5 where I think it belongs for an expert level sailor (hei! a pro can sail anything anywhere). At your weight (almost 20Kg more) it should work better, but in my opinion it is just too big for being am almost-nuke-day board.

Last edited by davide; 27th February 2008 at 11:36 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 02:22 AM   #9
Ola_H
TEAM

Screamer,

At your weight, the PA74 will be a great high wind blaster. Of course, an even smaller board might be even better for when you're truly overpowered with a 3.5, but as you know, these wind strengths often come in gusty flavor, so to little volume is not so often the best way overall. I'm rather sure the PA74 will work great for you. Its a fast board. The more you lock in and let it fly, the better it will go.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 06:20 PM   #10
Screamer

Thanks for your thoughts guys
Davide, I remember we discussed this before, and that PA74 wasn't small enough for you. There are a few factors I believe will make it a good board for me:
1. Riding my Kombat86 (59 wide, 39 tail) with a 4.0 in stupid conditions isn't very fun. I guess it will be a good step down.
2. For a lard arse ;-) it should be small enough.
3. Fresh water (a river) and gusty wind.

Fair winds

Edit: I've found an interesting discussion on the similar subject:
http://www.gaastra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=395

Last edited by Screamer; 28th February 2008 at 06:49 PM.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote