Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 19th September 2006, 05:56 PM   #1
sergio

Default Race sail for 25-35knots

Hello Ian, I`m 80kg and Have SSR 8,6 and 7,6 that I use until 20 and 25 knots. This winter we are thinking in gps testing old slalom and speed boards against new and wider designs. We have also some old sails to test against new ones. People that used to make speed competition think that old boards with new sails will be the fastest combination, but would be too uncomfortable for the standars now a days. What do you think about? I've sailed a Sonic 100 in more than 30knots and hard chopy and I think it would have been almost impossible with my old customs boards of the early 80's.
And another question, what size of Code Red do you think we need for speed in completely flat water and 30-35 knots?
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 06:00 PM   #2
sergio

Default RE: Race sail for 25-35knots

Sorry, one more question, the small sizes of Code Red use RDM or SDM masts?
Old 19th September 2006, 07:19 PM   #3
scotty

I hope to find out next year when I go for a I sonic 87 to retire my Protech 272. I'm guessing the sweet spot is much larger on the new boards. However during the right conditions, I'm sure the old boards will hold their own, as a fast design is a fast design and it's the pilot who makes the thing go!

Actually me personally I'd like to see a 70 something board as I just feel a 50 liter pure speed board is a bit out of my scope of use for high wind blasting!
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 02:02 AM   #4
Erik Loots

Send a message via MSN to Erik Loots

@ scotty

Quote:
Actually me personally I'd like to see a 70 something board as I just feel a 50 liter pure speed board is a bit out of my scope of use for high wind blasting!
I had one... called hypersonic 105 wood B)
I have done great speeds bought a gps when my hyper serious needed some retirement... still speeds of 35-37knots

Then I bought a Isonic 105 dram and it is totaly different... but fast haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Starboard iSonic woodcarbon 107, iSonic speed special W54, iSonic speed special W44
Sonntag Fins
Severne Reflex Sails
Erik Loots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 05:44 PM   #5
sergio

Please, team, answer these two questions:
"what size of Code Red do you think we need for speed in completely flat water and 30-35 knots?"
"the small sizes of Code Red use RDM or SDM masts?"
Old 25th September 2006, 08:33 PM   #6
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Sergio,

Please excuse the delay- that one slipped thru, been a bit busy lately

Q1 = "what size of Code Red do you think we need for speed in completely flat water and 30-35 knots?"
A1 = The sizes 6.1, 5.6 , 5.1m and even 4.6m would be the range of CodeRed to consider for wind in 30-35 kts in true flatwater speed conditions. You would only need one, max 2, not all 4 sizes. The actual choice would have alot to do with sailor style (personal tuning of sail ;big and flat vs small and powerful and this can change with mast tuning as well), as well as how "solid" the wind is at 30-35 kts. The actual power of the wind is a real factor; if it was really super solid 30-35 a normal 80kg racer would be OK with 4.6-5.1 (not excess power, but not too little either - and low drag!), typical 30-35 would be 5.1-5.6 conditions and thin 30-35 would be 5.6-6.1m. Of course, if the wind is peaking over (or falling under) the 30-35 range, then this influences the choice as well.
With super flat water, (true speed) the board speed becomes very high c/w open water sailing in chop, and the total (apparent) wind load goes higher for a given windspeed, so sail selection for a given wind range really is influenced by the venue.

Q2= "the small sizes of Code Red use RDM or SDM masts?"
A2 = At the moment, the CodeRed is specced using SDM 100% race masts, which do seem to add a little bit extra to rig stability under full/overload conditions. This does include the 2007 small CodeReds, but we are testing some also with RDM.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 07:00 AM   #7
sergio

Thanks a lot Ian, i think the choice will be 5,6 because my personal tuning is always the biggest sail on the smallest board. Your answer really helped, as usual.