Default RE: SeverneSails2007

Any advice ?
gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 04:27 PM   #12
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Gold,

Sorry for delay, I was away for a couple of days.

First thing to advise is keep it simple; just as few sails as possible, as these sails all have a very good wide and practical wind range, so with a little fine tuning of both choice (in the retailer and on the beach) and then fine tuning on the rigging itself, you can have a really good range with minimal equipment, which has a lot of benefits.

One factor I would also consider is the 6.9m Jet, which (with all respect to NP etc) did not show itself to be an ideal sail for use in heavily powered or loaded situations (as it was a relatively lightweight "sport" sail without a lot of draft stability - something a 100kg rider usually needs lots of !)

So I would be wondering 2 things before deciding : 1) is the 9.5 C2 you're using getting a lot of use - and in ideal 9,5 conditions (or are you mainly using 9.5 in "8.5" conditions ?? - and 2 ) what about considering something a little bigger - but more stable- to fill out the quiver from the bottom(6.9m) up - say, adding in a more stable 7.5m , for example, which could help close the gap to 9.5 from the bottom up, rather than dragging 9.5m (if you use it a lot) down.

in general, while having 3 sails to cover the range of 9.5/8.5/7-7.5m would be nice, it's not really essential, and you should be able to do it reasonably well with 2 - if they are not too far apart.

Hope this helps you in the decision making. Let us know if you would like more info etc.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 05:25 PM   #13
Pacs

Send a message via MSN to Pacs Send a message via Yahoo to Pacs

Hi Ian,

I can see 2007 6,5 Gator/NCX work with 430 mast instead of 460 one like last year. Why?

For a 80kg rider can this sail (6,5 size) be rigged with 460 mast?

Thanks and congrat for 2007 range,

Francisco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 02:25 PM   #14
gold

Ian,

Thank you for the useful infos.
Old 11th October 2006, 02:35 PM   #15
gold

I need the 9.5 because i sail in lakes. Some guys even use 10 meters or more....

I can use the 9.5 in 20 knots.

It is true that the 6.9 Jet is a sail with little power (equivalent to a C2 6.5 i assume).

So, I think i will go for a 7.5.
Old 11th October 2006, 05:44 PM   #16
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Pacs,

The congrats belong to Ben, Clinton, Jesper and Patto who have sweated it out in the loft to bring us the new toys.
For the rest of us it's pretty easy, just turn up and sail. Well, you know..
But those guys worked big time to really get the line into top gear this season, so look forward to some fun rides when you get on them.

The Gator and NC-X are pretty tolerant of minor mast curve deviations, so taking a standard 460/25 curve into the new sail/s won't be such of an issue, but with the new 6.5m at 457cm luff, a 460 will usually rig a little too long (or high off the deck). Shortening the 460 down a couple of cm is always possible, but maybe not desireable for use in other sails ??.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote