Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 5th April 2008, 08:05 AM   #21
Unregistered

Default Wow - didn't see that one coming!

The Maui Vacation Rental Association (www.mvra.net) says 'Transient'. Guess what they are promoting. Great attempt at changing the subject from your earlier specious comments, though!

I am assuming the subtle distinction between 'illegal' and 'legal' is now clear to you since you had no comment?

Aloha!
Old 5th April 2008, 09:54 AM   #22
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
Was that actually "travel" or "transient"? I would think that many vacationers are truly travelers rather than transients. I think most folks have a negative view of real transients, as they are more likely folks that have no job, income or responsibility, and they're just moving through at the communities' expense. Under the circumstances, I'm afraid your comments are clearly specious and poorly presented.

Please remember here that this forum is an international community. I think that Maui's long range focus and interests honestly deserve a more credible presentation.

You say these 'transients' are 'folks that have no job, income or responsibility, and they're just moving through at the communities' expense' - yup, that pretty much sums it up, couldn't agree more! Good to see you finally coming around, Steve!
Old 5th April 2008, 03:05 PM   #23
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, there have been some stupid altercations between surfers and windsurfers at Ho'okipa - a rehash of some old issues recently brought on by the fact that the illegal TVRs which have inflamed the local community are very windsurfing oriented, and the surfers (basically long time locals) were lashing out wherever they could...
Way to go spreading bullshit. There is no connection between TVR's and anything going on at Ho'okipa. What happened at Ho'okipa is that the surfers sought and obtained a County ordinance (the ten-man rule) to protect their rights of access to the waves, which were being trampled by windsurfers. Once they got the ordinance they sought and obtained enforcement by the authorities. Since that happened, windsurfers have been A LOT more respectful - that's what it took to get the message across to the thick-headed idiots who had no regard for common courtesy in the waves.

What does this have to do with TVRs? Nothing. If you want to connect this to the TVR situation, you're on crack.
Old 5th April 2008, 11:56 PM   #24
steveC

I guess my misunderstanding of the acronym "TVR" warrants eating a little crow, but that doesn't change my stated view and opinions about the troublesome situation on Maui. Frankly, I find it very disturbing that paying vacation visitors to the island are considered "transients". In my neck of the woods the word "transients" doesn't have a positive connotation at all, as I tried to explain earlier. Seems like Maui's dim view of vacationers might come back to haunt them.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2008, 12:51 AM   #25
Unregistered

Quote:
Way to go spreading bullshit. There is no connection between TVR's and anything going on at Ho'okipa. What happened at Ho'okipa is that the surfers sought and obtained a County ordinance (the ten-man rule) to protect their rights of access to the waves, which were being trampled by windsurfers. Once they got the ordinance they sought and obtained enforcement by the authorities. Since that happened, windsurfers have been A LOT more respectful - that's what it took to get the message across to the thick-headed idiots who had no regard for common courtesy in the waves.

What does this have to do with TVRs? Nothing. If you want to connect this to the TVR situation, you're on crack.
Yeah, I didn't say what I really meant, which is that Maui is a small community, and all these divisive issues play out in ways out in ways you might not expect. But for sure the TVR debate contributed to anti-windsurfing sentiment, and there is a little more to the Ho'okipa story than just 'rights of access' when you've got surfers sitting out in junk 30 knot conditions for hours for the sole purpose of preventing people from going windsurfing.

The fact that some 'H.G.A.' dude (real or pretend, no matter) is posting on an obscure windsurfing forum thread relating to TVRs tells you exactly where it is at.
Old 6th April 2008, 06:14 AM   #26
H*G*A

Angry You rang???

http://hookipagrom.com/

We grew here, you flew here.

Aloha, now GTFO!
Old 6th April 2008, 06:48 AM   #27
Unregistered

Exclamation

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't say what I really meant, ....
Yeah, you've made your point, which is, you're not even capable of saying what you really mean. And you want anyone to take you seriously?

Now, as the other guy said, GTFO.
Old 6th April 2008, 09:25 AM   #28
Unregistered

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by H*G*A View Post
http://hookipagrom.com/

We grew here, you flew here.

Aloha, now GTFO!
No, THIS makes my point. Thanks for playing, better luck next time!
Old 6th April 2008, 08:02 PM   #29
Unregistered

Default oh the oh so pious not so local local food for thought...

Its amazing the hater attitude that SOME "locals" end up giving tourists over issues like this. I have seen it in costa rica the dominican republic, toabago, and YES in hood river oregon!!

But i have seen it with americans coming over the border to Canada and buying up cottage land and driving up local cottage prices. Or people from other places in Canada looking for cottages as well!!
Our attitude is that they are outsiders they dont belong!! Its a global thing.
Its not going to stop.

But back to maui
Who are the real kaa mahina??? that suffer from the "invader"??
I love the recent transplant that takes up the anti tourist "hue and cry" and now having a zip code and registered as a resident in the state considers themselves a "local" mauian.
And now become the hater of tourism the local that says"hey get off my wave!!"

I met a few of these guys in Jaques bistro, attitude and whiter the a bleached bone. i was labelled but them as a "north american " tourist.

yeah brah whiter then white ,
what a laugh,

the worst hater.

how does this person feel when the real kaamahina suffers???
Yes the person of hawaiian ancestry, the one who were robbed and contunue to be roobed by all ( yes the japanese, the tavares, the descendants
plantation workers are they real kaa mahina??!!)
I met all i respect only one.
Back to jaques bistro while transplant Joe ( i call him) terms me a north american, beside me eating and enjoying a beer is a guy named francis, having a beer and tapas, the frinedliest guy i have met, offered me some food and a conversation ensused. seems he has worked on molokai clearing unexploded ordanance.

I met a friend of his later that week a park ranger just as
nice.
These guys had "the blood"NO DOUBT.
these guys no grief, just all aloha,
all hawaiian all kaa mahina.!!!

they tell me to go........I go!

they tell me they cant afford housing i repect them.

you other transplants , prove your ancestry!!!

if your not a real local, oh pious ones, give "them"their islands back and go home
youselves if you dont like the crowding and conditions in maui!!!
Old 6th April 2008, 10:36 PM   #30
True Local

Default to the last guy

you are so right about these guys. mainland haoles that come to maui and think they are kamaina, give you attitude and think they are local. and so right that the true locals show you aloha and welcome you

why do you think haoles are so hated?.