Old 1st April 2008, 10:30 PM   #1
AurisSurf

Default Futura 122 with 9.0 sail

Hey guys,

I had no luck to link with "Ask Our Team" so I'll try here the thing is that I really need help

I've already bought a brand new sail RAM-F8 9.0, because here we have mostly light winds (my wish is start gliding then the wind is ~10knots). Know I am thinking to buy a brand knew Futura 122 (my style is freeriding), but I'm not shure that it will go with each over (Futura122 with 9.0 sail)? and the worst is that one's says that it will be good combination and others says conversely, that I'll have hard time to handle it. So now I'm realy fluster , because I've already gave handsel for my knew Futura 122. But of course, it's not too late to change my mind and take other board.

I'm ~75kg weight. I already have 7.0 sail (NP V8 '06)
The thing is that I like going fast, so I need fast freeride board. The last two seasons I've rided Fanatic shark 145 with my NP sail.

Of course we have days then the wind is 20-30 knots so I'd like to ride the same board and use my 7.0 sail.

I'll be really, really grateful for your advices and recommendations. Maybe someone of you are riding similar combinations?

Have a good wind!

Auris
AurisSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Ken

Auris,

You should be able to plane in 10 knots with the 122 and a 9.0 sail, if you have good pumping skills to get going. 10 knots is just about the bottom end in my opinion for you to plane. If you sail into some 8 knot holes, you will drop off plane if the hole lasts for more than 5-8 seconds.

The 122 will be pretty big and difficult to control in 20+ knots. Up to 18-20 you should be ok with the 7.0, but over 20, it will be very challenging. Even with a smaller sail (6.0 or 5.0), in winds over 25 knots, the board will be too large for someone that weighs 75kg.

In 20 to 30 knots, most sailors your size will be on boards from 85 liters to 100 liters depending on their skill and their sailing site (variable winds sometimes require larger boards). Salt or fresh water plays a role too.

It's essentially impossible to have one board that does it all (10-30 knots), but the 122 is about the best you can do.

Hope this helps,

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 06:32 AM   #3
James

Auris- I think you have made good choices and you will be happy with the 7.0 and the 9.0 on the Futura 122.

A sail has a range of about 5 knots in which it feels best. So you will probably use the 9.0 from 10-15 knots, and you will use the 7.0 from 15-20 knots. However, I agree with Ken that when it is blowing more than 20 knots your 7.0 will probably be too big. A 5.5 would be more appropriate for 20-25 knots.

The link below tells you the ideal sail size for your weight and different wind strengths.

http://www.vims.edu/general/sailpadd...Calculator.xls
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Unregistered

Thank you guys for advices and remarks!!! know I feel much better. I already have experience in riding when it's blowing ~28 konots. I was doing it with my Fanatic shark 145HRS and sail 7.0 NP, I had lots of fun, but as you said it was really challenging and punishing. The water was flat and fresh.

Well anyway, I made decision to buy Futura 122 and try it with the sale 9.0 and if it will not work, I'll sell this sail and try lets say 8.0 sail. I think its the best I can do in this context.

Of course I think and about smaller sail (~6.0) with no cambers to go in to the sea (Baltic sea), know I sail in lakes and heaps (Kursiu heap), but I'll think about that later

Thanks again for your reply! I really appreciate that!
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:32 PM   #5
AurisSurf

me ................
Old 3rd April 2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Screamer

AurisSurf

I believe that a F122 will be a little small for a 9.0 and way too big for (true) 25 knots. I haven't sailed it, but I have tried many boards with a 9.0 (that's my largest sail) and I think you really need about 75cm wide board (iS122 for example). Possible/doable combo is one thing and comfortable combo that will give you real early planing benefits in 10 knots, is another. I say this because you've mentioned mostly light winds and bought a 9.0 sail.
145 lit + 7.0 in 28 knots? Well maybe on a lake, holey wind, sheltered water, etc. In true, average 28 (border of Force 7), on the sea, you'll need around 4.5 on an 80 lit board.

Good luck

Last edited by Screamer; 3rd April 2008 at 02:44 PM.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Paulc

i would keep the shark 145 and use it with the 9.0. this is a great low wind combo with a 50/52 fin. then get a futura 111 to use with your 7.0 sail and smaller. to me that would be a better setup and range for your winds.
Paulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 08:47 PM   #8
AurisSurf

Thanks again for your advices... I've already bought Futura 122, waiting to be test with both sails