Old 7th April 2008, 08:32 AM   #1
carl macdonald

Default Fins for isonic 50

Hello Team,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend speed fin style and sizes for isonic 50. I use 2008 5.8m ka koncept and have done 40 knots on both the std 28cm slalom pro drake fin and 23cm drake speed fin. I have a 21cm tectonics on offer at the moment and also don't mind the sl7 select fins but don't know whether to go for a 25cm or 27cm or go for a smaller speed fin - 21cm tectonics or 23cm mal wright fin???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl Macdonald.
(1.75m tall and 77kg's)
carl macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 10:21 AM   #2
sailquik
Speed Demon

It depends a bit on the specific conditions you are to sail in.
In epic, flatwater (with the mandatory rolling chop) the asymmetrical fins from Time Machine (TM45v7) and KA/Lockwood (20cm and 21.5cm cm) are perfect in my experience if you have a starboard tack course. The TM fins have the edge in tight conditions and the Lockwood fins are sometimes a bit easier to get to perform in very disturbed or rough water. Bigger guys would like the 23 KA/lockwood in Assy as well.
For less than record breaking winds and/or a tight course and for more versatility on both tacks the Time Machine 26 Speed is sensational and there is a symmetrical version of the KA/Lockwood that is very nice if you need a swept fin to help shed the occasional bit of light weed.

For symmetrical fins the Techtonics has a good reputation but I would caution against going smaller than about 25cm unless it is ideal conditions. I have personally not had much success with the smallest Select speed fins (21cm) but the larger ones over 25 seem fine and some of their slalom fins are excellent.

In some conditions a swept back (or set back) fin also seems to help get the boards nose up a bit and feeling looser and Foxy had had great success with the Swept back C3 fins