Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 22nd September 2006, 09:50 AM   #1
Jake

Default Carve 131 and 101 or ???

Hi there,

I weigh 80 kg and sail a Carve 131. Looking a purchasing a higher wind lower volume board. I currently have the following sails - Saber 6.9m, Supersonic 5.4m and an ART RAGE 4.4m. Looking at another Carve but not sure about the size or to go for say the S-type. Finding it difficult to chose between sub 100 litre or say around the 105 litre mark. wanting a board that i can sail when it gets too windy for the 131 - sail 1/2 time on lakes 1/2 time on salt. looking at using the 5.4m as the predominant sail on the new board and the 4.4m when needed (not that often). Would keep the 6.7m solely for the 131.

any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 01:00 PM   #2
PG

Default RE: Carve 131 and 101 or ???

I think that you are spot on with the C101. It is a significantly smaller board than the C131 and would be a nice transition without beeing too demanding.
As such, for a 80 KG user with 5.4 as the biggest sail, it would actually make sense to pick a slightly smaller board, going even towards 90 liters. But these boards do get more challenging to sail, and are maybe the next step in your career.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 08:32 AM   #3
GEM

Default RE: Carve 131 and 101 or ???

I tend to agree with PG.

Have a C131, I sail it mostly on fresh water. The C101 would be a logical step down to higher wind. Only question I would have would be whether or not a Kombat would be a better choice. Kind of depends on the water traits where you sail. Is the 4.4 ART wind associated with 2m swells, or is it protected water and flat? More toward wavy, I'd err on the side of the Kombat; more flat and I'd err toward the Carve. You'll be able to sail either board, and love it, but I'm all for ease of use and would make that my primary criteria.

The Carve series is arguably one of the finest line of boards ever produced. Easy easy jibing. The old, pre-no-nose Mistral Screamer is the only other board I've used that I'd describe as being on autopilot during the jibe. If you're not in big waves, but not making 95% of your jibes - planing out of them - then go with the Carve.

The Kombat is very well-reviewed, and I've ordered a K96, but haven't used one enough to make good judgement. As a whole, though, the K series are not as beloved as the Carves. Make note of that, and if it's even, I'd go for the Carve.
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote