Old 15th May 2008, 02:40 PM   #21
Airtime77

Smile Fin for me?

Hi Remi,

My very first post here so thank you for your patience. I have just ordered the 162 and I am contemplating which fin I should use with it. I am 1.7m male weighing 64kg sailing in light winds ranging from 8 knots to 15 knots. I currently use the Deboichet R16 S on my 159. Will this do on the 162? What is the ideal fin for my height and weight?

Thanks so much!

Airtime77
Airtime77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 02:50 PM   #22
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Airtime77,

The best fin we found from 55 kgs to 90 kgs is the R20 rake + 6cm. This fin is the softer fin that ever made Deboichet and glide really well with the 162.

All the best
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 03:00 PM   #23
Airtime77

Thanks for the super prompt reply!

I assume this would be the 70cm size? I forgot to mention that I am sailing on 9.8m2 NP RS racing.

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I used the R16 fin?

Thanks again!
Airtime77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 04:56 PM   #24
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Airtime77,

Yes 70 cm.

Never try this one, but I know that is less powerfull but a have an excellent glide. The R20 will give both world.

All the best
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 01:56 AM   #25
fin66

Pfafi and G

Did you give a report on the competition?
I'm really confused with the board. Today I jumped on a Vapor, wtih my own sail 10.7, and the board rised high in the water and went really well compared to my 162 that felt like a submarine with R13 M +7. The fin didn't feel powerfull enough, couldn't get angle upwind, downwind is no problem. Same thing with R19 S- +8 and 11.8m2.

I'm just wondering that even if the board is recommended with R19 in light and R13 in heavy, is that really the case in competition, could it be that this board ONLY works with Kachy style fins ( R20 is it kachy style ?). At least in portugal the 4 first used kachy.

And how far do you have to go from the recommended position I've been using like -2cm, but perhaps it should be even further back.
Someone help me fast or I will buy a Dinghy.....
fin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 01:58 AM   #26
fin66

Remi
Whats up with deboichet, no answers from Oriana, Is the Fin (R20) avaiable or not?

Has any "Normal" person got a R20 or is the fin only for team and testriders.

Has anyone actually bought one and got one ?
Old 29th May 2008, 02:41 AM   #27
G

hallo Fin66,
when I came back from Garda Lake Supercup I was pretty happy of the whole package performance but after having done 3 more sailing session I have to say that your feeling is not so wrong.
I did those in marginal wind and 11.Used a very fast fin which is perfect in medium wind.But I've wrong with trim and sail choice alle the 3 times.
But I felt my upwind angle wasn't as good as usual.Downwind I have no problem both for speed and angle.Maybe is a new vapor attitude.. ...maybe!
I feel that to keep a good angle upwind it does need a powerfull sail with a big draft below the boom.The fin needs to be soft and too thick.
From what I know the r20 hasn't satisfied all the testers.That's why there's not so much around.
Hope to get back to the water in couple of days and have new datas to report here.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 02:00 PM   #28
pfaffi

Send a message via Skype™ to pfaffi

Hello Fin 66!
I found for my F162 as best mast base position with CR08 11,0 AND 11,7 "-2CM" measured back from the middle of the mast track not counting the insert hole (184cm 90kg). Additional I rised my boom 3 cm up from my normal position. All straps back. The fin thing is most important. You have to find a fin which gives you enough power riding the board nearly plane and not on the leeward edge. The R13 only works using the leeward edge. So forget it. Try something powerful and big. Use a cutted one with a wide powerful tip, soft flex and nearly no twist ( thats the only secret os Kashy).
pfaffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 04:17 PM   #29
fin66

Pfafi and G ( and other gurus

Actually I had an ok session with new settings yesterday.
Mast base was -4,5cm from the recommended position printed on the board. 2cm more back than I have tried before. My boom was perhaps 1cm higher than normal (160 from middle of the boom to end of mastfoot + a neilpryde base).
And then I changed to a powerful fin. First the normal drake, but even better was hurricane 4a S 621. It’s really a soft fin but definitely faster than R19 Drake.
As you said, the board goes better if it is trimmed flat. However on the downwind I tried to “fly the fin” and then the board is on the leeward edge, is that wrong? At least it felt ok
The wind was 6-8m/s and I was on 10.7 . 11.8 could have been possible as well, since the water was really flat.

I tested against “the soon to be Finish champion” on 162 + severne 11.0 + kachy
Now I could almost keep up with him, but when we hit a lull he seemed to be able to keep the angle and his own stance, when I had to head down and adjust my stance. I don’t know if it’s the Kachy which does it or what.

The R13 really felt weird, perhaps it’s should be soft or s- to become powerful enough or then wind should be over 10m/s

After this ok session I at least decided not to quit the sport  There is still hope.

But what about light wind 3-5m/s , Do you use the same settings then, really far back with everthing or do you have more secrets….

Ps What’s CR08 ?
Old 1st June 2008, 05:30 AM   #30
Hank

What Pfaffi means by CR08 is: Severne Code Red 2008 version.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote