Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 21st September 2006, 07:28 PM   #1
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default iS105 vs iS101

I'm just curious what the differences are between these two boards. When I run through the stats, it looks like you made it just a hair wider and longer with a wider tail. Wasn't the iS105 volume actually 100L? What is the actual volume for the iS101? Is it still 100L or is it actually 101L? How do these boards compare at the high/low wind limits?

I'm happy with my iS105, but I'm curious what you did to improve the board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 08:07 AM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: iS105 vs iS101

Hi o2,

On a macro scale the iS101 and iS105 look very similar.

On a more detailed scale, the new iS101 has a wider (but thinner cross section) , more efficent tail now featuring mini wingers for better release and fin drive and subtly but importantly the overall scoop and rocker profile have been refined.

The overall volume of the new board remains basicaly the same (or a couple of Lt less than 105, depends on whose figures/measurements you consider).

Upper wind limits and in jibes the new board adds a bit more control (bite/grip on the water) , and the overall efficency increase of the planing area and release from wingers gives higher top speed potential than 105(same also on 111/122/133), and similar potentail speed benefit in less than max conditions also.

Obviously, the new 2007 iSonics are a logical "second generation" refinement from the initial 2006 versions (iS105 etc)- not quantum changes, but still noticeable.

Add in a range of the usual "progressive" details like upgraded straps (SlickStrapII), new 2007 fins, new laminate spec, Technora replacing Dyneema etc, tighter control on rocker profile etc. DockLocks lock insert.
Hey, you even get red paint on the tail cuts - it has to be faster

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 09:06 AM   #3
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default RE: iS105 vs iS101

Thanks Ian. I noticed the red in the cut outs. Racing stripes are next?

It looks like we're going to get some good wind out at Hatteras this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to try my 30cm fin I just purchased for the iS105. I'm looking forward to seeing how much better it handles higher winds for me.

Maybe I'll be able to track down Roger Jackson if he's around. I'd love to see if he has any of the 2007 iSonics I could try out. Saturday is supposed to be a lighter wind day. I'd love to try the 122 or 133. :-)

Saturday is supposed to be 13-18mph with gusts to 30. Sunday is supposed to be 21-24mph with gusts to 34.

B)B)B)B)B)B)B)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote