Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 17th April 2008, 01:56 AM   #1
Klint

Default Maui Sails carbon boom or NP X9?

I have a NP X9 which is a brilliant product. Now I'm looking for a larger boom (i.e ca 190-240) for my race sails, choise is between X9 and the Maui Sails carbon boom. I have no experience from the Mauisails boom, what is it like? As good as the X9?

/ Andy
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 03:34 AM   #2
Ken

I can't speak for the X9's but I have the Maui Sails Carbon Race 230-290 for my 9.2 TR-3 sail. I don't know of anything you could do to make the boom better. The only negatives are the weight, which makes it extemely stiff and the cost. I guess you get what you pay for.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 03:48 AM   #3
steveC

Hi Andy,

I have the Maui Sails Carbon Wave 170-230 boom, and I can say without a doubt that it's an outstanding product worthy of consideration. Although the MS Carbon Race 190-240 offers larger OD arms and a different tail piece than my wave boom, I think that you will find that it offers very similar benchmark features throughout. What I find so impressive is that design engineering is truly simple and direct and everything so works so flawlessly. In particular, the front end is the best I've ever tried. You ought to check it out first hand to really see how good it is.

On my larger 2004 HPL boom, I retrofited it with the MS front end and the result is just incredible. Infinitely better than the original HPL front end. No question, a total plus upgrade one can depend on.

Contrasting the MS and NP booms side by side, I think you'll be able to appreciate the excellence that the MS boom offers. While I've heard mixed opinions about the durability of the NP X9 boom, I've never have heard anyone say anything negative about the MS carbon booms, except maybe the over softness of the grip material on early models. NP also has some history of grip material and adhesion problems, so MS is not alone on this. Really, at least in my opinion, the grip material criticisms are a minor level concern overall. Grip material is relatively easy to retrofit.

Again, do yourself a favor and seriously consider the MS' carbon booms.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 04:53 AM   #4
Unregistered

I have the 190-240, 265-310 booms and they are really rock-solid. I can't really add to what SteveC said. Except I don't like sailing on any other booms now. They have spoiled me. First-class product for sure.

I have a 190-240 boom in stock if you don't have a lead on one already.

Britt
www.nbwindsurfing.com
Old 17th April 2008, 04:53 AM   #5
Unregistered

Steve C QUOTE: "Again, do yourself a favor and seriously consider the MS' carbon booms."

WTF ?? He is which is why he is asking the question in the first place!?
Old 17th April 2008, 08:00 AM   #6
steveC

You know poster 5, if you want to criticize someone, you need to better organize and express your thoughts. While I get the picture that your comments were negative in nature, I have no idea what you're really trying to say.

You might not appreciate my contributions, that doesn't mean that MS booms aren't arguably the best booms out there (and I'm simply a satisfied customer with no business interests). I might not be the best messenger, but really, the MS boom products speak for themselves.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 11:38 AM   #7
SeanAUS120
Dream Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SeanAUS120

I would recommend the MS booms also. Have a 250-310 and its probably one of the best investments in gear I have made so far. I have a few broken NP's in my garage (admittedly, they broke after 2 seasons of solid, solid use) so I think there needs to a change in the construction of the NP booms before I go back.

Managed to break one of the clips on the MS boom after 8 months however. Which I thought was good, considering I've replaced about 8-10 per boom on my NP booms over the years.

I'm not convinced the weights are much different. I haven't tried the smaller booms but the MS 250-310 vs NP 260-310 is only 500g heavier. Putting a wide-tail backend on the NP boom and you've already almost gobbled up that 500g difference. The extra width (7cm wider at front, where your hands sit) gives a lot more power to the sail because of the extra leverage and having a wide-tail is nice with large race sails when you have them bagged out in light winds.
Old 17th April 2008, 03:20 PM   #8
geo

I have a Maui Sails 190-240 carbon boom and it's nothing like anything I had before. Can't say of the NP (I would never buy anything from that brand, considering the high prices and the poor reliability stories I hear about their carbon products - why to risk at such prices?), but my MS boom is incomparably stiffer than my previous Fiberspar and Amex carbon booms in the same size class. The front end is just flawless, safely locks on the mast with no slip at all despite the small effort required to snap shut. Only minus, the beefy rear end makes it heavy in the back; I don't consider this as a real drawback, but rather a direct unavoidable consequence of the high performance requirements.
To make it short: with the Maui Sails you won't be wrong.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 03:36 PM   #9
Klint

Thanks for answers, will go and get the MS 190-240 . I intend to use this boom for 6,5-8,5 race sails. My 8,5 requires 2,36 cm extension which is very close to maximum extension on the mid size MS boom. Generally itís not a good idea to run booms on max extension, any experience how MS carbon booms will cope with this?

Donít really have the budget to get two booms since they are close to eqv. $ 1.500 in Sweden where I live, insane!! Noticed on US based webshops that the same boom is about $ 750 in the States, half price. Guess the European importers are making quite a gain on the weak dollar, not reflected in end consumer priceÖ But what the hell, laws of supply and demand has never applied to the windsurfing industry.
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 01:51 PM   #10
Knownasbarkswhenloggedin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klint View Post
Donít really have the budget to get two booms since they are close to eqv. $ 1.500 in Sweden where I live, insane!! Noticed on US based webshops that the same boom is about $ 750 in the States, half price. Guess the European importers are making quite a gain on the weak dollar, not reflected in end consumer priceÖ But what the hell, laws of supply and demand has never applied to the windsurfing industry.
Klint, check out Surfline (www.surfline.dk) in Aarhus. It's not that far and you probably know someone going to Denmark wavesailing every now and thyen. I bet he's cheaper than the swedish vendor; it seems to me that the Danish prices are far lower than Swedish and Norwegian ones (which also reflects on the used gear markets). I think the advertised price for the MS 265-310 was like 6000DKK last I checked.

And yep, I'll recommend the MS too. I've owned a NP X9 260-310 '04 and a Gulftech Maximum in the past and I am way happier with my MS 265-310. The only thing I would like to see improved on the wide tail booms would be having pulleys further out on the wide tail to keep the lines away from the sail (a la Gulftech Maximum). Apart from that the boom rocks. Mine is a pretty early one entering it's third season now (recreational use with a little regatta, no 6 days a week regime though, but I'm 95 kg and mostly sail in choppy water). The boom head is pure genious. So simple and foolproof and yet so strong; not like the carbonthingy on thye NP's the wear down and breaks/need shimming/slips after some use).