Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 15th April 2008, 01:18 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default iSonic 133 vs Forumla

Hello Guys,

Would a iSonic 133 with a 10m sail plane as early as a Formula (with equivalent sail) in 8-10knot winds for a 75kg intermediate windsurfer?

I guess what I want to know is whether getting a 133 is enough if the idea is to plane in this sort of wind conditions.

thanks!
Old 15th April 2008, 09:50 PM   #2
mark h

Hi, I'm 105kg and use a iS144/9m in around 10 knots, slow but fun. I'v yet to try my 11m in sub 9/10 knots but imagin it will work well. Overall, iS133 Vs Formula, the minimum wind requiremed will only drop by 3 or 4 knots, I mean the iS will need 3 or 4 knots extra CW Formula to get going. In "solid" 10k winds, the iS will be quicker accross & down wind. Main advantage to the Formula will be up/downwind angles and the sensation of more power (because of wider tail & bigger fins).

Cheers

Last edited by mark h; 15th April 2008 at 09:52 PM.
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Ken

Although I haven't sailed an iS 133, I do sail formula. No the 133 will not plane as soon as a formula board, but the difference will be pretty small. At your weight, with a steady wind and good pumping skills, you could get the formula board on plane with a 10.0 in about 8 knots, but you will be limited to beam reaching. The 133 may require 10 knots (just a guess) to get going.

I have a friend with a hypersonic 133 and a 10.4. He weighs about 83kg and seems to be on plane nearly as much as me on a Formula board with an 11.0. I weigh 80kg.

I think the choice depends on your type of sailing. Formula if you race formula, 133 if you race slalom in light winds. If you just free sail, the 133 will be faster, but won't point as high or run as deep as the formula.

I don't think the early planing difference is very much. Choose by the style of sailing you prefer.

Both boards will take a lot of practice to maximize their potential. Neigher are designed for intermediate sailors, so you will have to be determined to practice, practice & practice. Both boards fully powered can be very very exciting to sail, especially if you work on deep down wind runs at speed.

The Futura 144 might be a better option since it is a little more user friendly and can handle a 10.0 sail.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 10:39 PM   #4
Expander

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Hello Guys,

Would a iSonic 133 with a 10m sail plane as early as a Formula (with equivalent sail) in 8-10knot winds for a 75kg intermediate windsurfer?

I guess what I want to know is whether getting a 133 is enough if the idea is to plane in this sort of wind conditions.

thanks!

--

I use Formula gear (161) and (2007) iS133 for light wind slalom; my weight is 80 kg and good skills.

To be realistic, decent performaces for a Formula board (with 11 mt. sail) start from "solid" 10 knots while, for 2007 iS133, they start from "solid" 12-13 knots (with 9 mt. sail).

Note: both boards are used with full cammed sails; this factor limits a little planning threshold compared to a free race sail (with less cambers).

Anyway, under these wind limits (10 knots for Formula and 12-13 knots for slalom gear), I think windsurfing becomes really exhausting (due pumping) and loses a lot in terms of power perception and speed sensation.

So gap between these boards should be of "only" 2-3 knots (depending on sails type, windsurfing style and skills) but, as Ken said, ...with iS133 you will never point as high or run as deep as the Formula.

Even if they could be consider as similar boards (due overlapping wind range), they presuppose two quite different ways of making windsufing.

Cheers.

Last edited by Expander; 16th April 2008 at 04:17 AM.
Expander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 01:20 AM   #5
Per

Remember that if you sail a lot in a spot with mostly marginal conditions (95% of the planet) 3 knots difference in planing wind IS A LOT.... It may reduce your planing time on the water with 50%..
To me, the switch from a 77 cm wide fast freeride board with 9.5 sail to a formula with 10.5 sail meant around 40% more planing time.....

If I was in the early planing iSonic mood I would go for the biggest possible iSonic and use a powerful 10+ freerace sail with it (twin cam deep belly). That would give good (almost formula) planing and excellent light wind speed...

Just a thought..

Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Screamer

All good info here.....
If you get mostly 8-10 knots and/or holey, you may find slalom a lot of hard work. Once planing, it will be more fun, beam reaching and gybing.
But, as Per said, 2-3 knots higher planing threshold may cost you 50 or more days a year......
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 08:30 PM   #7
Unregistered

just want to add that formula is a technical board, as your technique improves
(pumping, stands) and you find correct fin, mast foot position, etc. the diff. will become
wider between slalom and formula performance. Plus sailing with a large sail is much more
comfortable on a wider board like formula. in puffy conditions it will be faster on all
angles in the right hands
Old 17th April 2008, 02:08 AM   #8
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Can't comment for a 75 kg intermediate but for my 65 kg, the difference between F158 (+70 stock fin) and iSonic 133W85 (+Select RS7 55 cm fin) is less than 1 knot for getting planing in the low wind range with a Code Red2 11.0 m2 : 6-7 knots versus 7 knots. Pointing upwind or running deep downwind is of course not the same...

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 18th April 2008 at 01:43 AM. Reason: typo
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 02:20 AM   #9
Jean-Marc
TEAM

oops, almost forgot to say, both requires highly active pumping skills and a bit deep drafted sail trim (-1 to -2 cm downhaul & outhaul from max recommended). If I'm waiting for the wind to get planing purely passively, I clearly need more wind like in the 9 knots range.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 12:23 AM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello Guys,

thanks!
Huh?

iS133 85w!, 10 kt, 10.sqm sail sailor < 80 Kg == planing full time, marginal pumping necessary.

You don't even need a 10sqm sail for that and the stock fin is also sufficient but dont fall on/close or let anything fall on/close to your new board otherwise you'll be sorry. Better get a large Futura in technora.