Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 23rd September 2006, 04:11 PM   #1
TomG

Default iSonic or Carve as Lightwind Board

Hi,

The question that I asked ealier about an Early Planin Boards seems to got lost in the list of threads so that I start a new one.

I am looking for a board to complement my 86 and 104 l boards for lightwind conditions. I weigh 78kg and am (not more) than an average skilled windsurfer. Main objective is to get to plane as early as possible and then (seconday objective) to achieve good speed. Water conditions will mainly flat or slighly choppy) for wind conditions that don't allow me to use the 104l board.

I think that an iSonic would a good choice, better than an Carve. What is your advise, both model and size. Or would you recommend another board?

Thomas
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: iSonic or Carve as Lightwind Board

Hello FamGer,
I agree with your opinion that the Isonics ('07 in particular) are the most likely boards to suit your "plane early and achieve good speed criteria.
At 78 Kg. you are a relative light middleweight so you may be able to get going on a slightly smaller Isonic than you realize.
I know the '06 Isonic 115 was pretty surprising to me in that it planed somewhat earlier than I anticipated and was plenty quick on the top end.
Your choice here isn't going to be easy.
If you select a larger Isonic (145,155) you will get better early planing, but lose a bit on the top speed.
If you select a smaller Isonic, (133;122; 111; 101) you will get a board that planes as early as an equivalent sized Carve, with significantly better top speed potential.
You will give up a little looseness and versatility over the Carve boards however.
If you aren't interested in "carving" in small waves, and can learn to control the Isonic as higher speeds, I think you will find them bo be just what you are asking for.
The Isonics jibe quite nicely (I was surprised at this as well) but perhaps not quite as easily as the Carves.
So, my recommendation for your weight would be the Isonic 122 or 133 if you have winds in the 10-15 knot range alot and some larger sails, or the Isonic 111 or 101 if you have higher winds.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 11:34 PM   #3
mike

Just a further thought from an average sailor about maiximizing a board quiver.

Consider the largest sail you use (happily) with your 104l. For the next board size up (be it carve or isonic) go for a board size that will take that same sail as the smallest sail (that the board performs well with - not nessararily the smallest the spec say).

It's easier to change a board than a sail if the wind changes. I got a starboard this year and am impressed with it's range.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 12:04 AM   #4
TomG

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your response. So, looks like an iSonic - probably more 133. Im am looking indeed for a wind range of 10-15 knots, maybe a bit less. For stronger wind I will use my 104 l board with a 7-7.5 sqm sail. What would you recommend as larger sail both type and size? And what would be the wind speed at which I could get to plane with such a sail and either the 122 or 133 iSonic?

Thomas
Old 24th September 2006, 08:36 AM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hello again Thomas,
Again, what board and what sail will depend a great deal on what windspeed.
If you get alot of 9-12 knot winds then the larger 133 and probably a
9.0 or larger free race sail (something with lots of low end like a Retro, NP V8, or Severne Gator.
If you get more in the 12-15 knot range then a good 8.5 (same criteria as above) anf the Isonic 122 should be a little better combo.
Actually if you get more than 15 knots any percentage of the time an even smaller 111 would be good.
10-15 knots is a tough windrange to select boards and sails for.
If you have steady winds, it's much easier, as you can stay on plane with a smaller board and sail.
If you have gusty up and down winds. it's far more difficult as you won't get going or stay going in the lulls, and may be a little overpowered and with slightly too much board in the gusts.
A little better to make 12 knots the "decision point" I think.
A good 7.5-8.5 m2 rig, and a 122-145 liter board and at your weight you will eventually figure out how to get this combination planing most of the time if the wind is 12 knots or more.
If you get up to 20 knots and more, then you want a much smaller rig and board and your 104 ltr sounds about right with a 5.5 m2 rig.
Try to learn to be "efficient" and sail the smallest board and rig size (esp. rig size) you can get away with.
Hope this helps,
Old 24th September 2006, 02:24 PM   #6
TomG

Hi Roger,
Thanks again, as always your responses are quite elaborate and provide lot information, which me make actually think a bit more.
Currently I have a 7.0 sail for my 104 l board (JP Freeride Carve), which can carry up to 7.5 m2. I would hope that I can it get to plane latest at 15 knots if not a bit less with 7.5 m2 or is this too optimistic (I have never measured the wind speed)? If too optimistic, what wind speed will get me going then? This wind speed is then the decision point in that respect that the larger board should cover the range below this speed while having the capability to still perform acceptable if it is a bit more. My "problem" is that I have limited time (as many people) and prefer to sail at low wind speeds rather than sitting at the beach and watching the water if the conditions are not good enough for smaller boards. Maximising the time on the water would be a objective.
Lets assume (optimistically) to illustrate my thinking I get the 104 to plane at 12 kn and the wind speed is "steady" at 12-15 kn when I start then I will go straight for the 104 board. If it is less or not steady I want to use the larger board with being perfect in the range up to 12 kn. Then in ~12-17 kn range it should be still good since I wouldn't want to rig up a smaller (7.5 m2) sail immediately. If the wind would continue to get stronger I probably would change sail and board for the higher fun factor. If the planing threshold is not 12kn but more than the other speeds change accordingly.
In short the criteria would be a board that is excellent in wind speeds that are lower than those that get me comfortably to plane on my 104 l board with a 7.5 m2 sail and has early planing capabilities. The board should have some "margin" at higher wind speeds to allow some overlap with the 104 l board while it has not to excellent anymore - just ?ok'ish?. Which is the magic board that offers all that? When will I get plane with that board and what would the best sail size - it should be obviously a Freerace sail. It doesn?t have to be an iSonic while in the low wind speed range good top speed (2nd most important) on top of early planing is important to me. Good jibing capabilities would be great but are only number 3 criteria and carving is less relevant (priority 4).
I hope my long story makes sense and gives you some more insight in want I want. It is of course me who has to make the decision ? I just like to get good input from someone with loads of experience and good practical knowledge with different boards.
Thomas
Old 26th September 2006, 11:05 PM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
I still think the Isonic 133 seems the best choice as it gives you probably 4-5 knots earlier planing than I think is realistic for your 104 liter board, but I think you will find the overlap you are looking for and may even find that you sail the 133 much further up into the 104's range than you imagined.
Again, if you really want to go for the "marginal planing" threshold, one of the larger Isonics (145 or 155) and a big 9.5 m2 + rig is going to be the right board, but what you gain in marginal planing, you are going to lose on the top end to some degree.
The 133 seems to be the best overall compromise here.
Hope this helps,
Old 28th September 2006, 03:40 AM   #8
TomG

Hi Roger,
Thank you again for your response. I am getting clearer what board gives me want I am looking for. I definetly don't want to go below 133l - I look much more for the marginal planing. How much earlier than the 133 do the 145 and 155 get to plane (in knots)? And would they still be in their "optimal" range of use until I can change to the 104l board?
Thomas
Old 1st October 2006, 11:20 PM   #9
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi FamGer,
I apologize for not getting back with you sooner here. Been working 10-12 hour days and flying across the USA all nite again.
Not sure I can realistically answer your questions here on the differences between the Isonic 133 and the 145-155, as I only have the Isonic 145 in my demo "quiver" of boards, and due to lack of time on the water, I have not even sailed the Isonic 145 yet.
I've got a lot of "testing" to do here to find out about these new boards.
Only thing I've sailed very much is the new F-161 formula board, the Gemini tandem board and the Serenity.
Got to get out there and sail the Isonic 145, the Apollo and all the other new stuff.
I'm quite sure you will find the Isonic 133 "bridges the gap" to your 104 liter board.
Most sailors get on the wider boards (like the new Isonics) and quickly find that they can sail these boards comfortably in quite a bit more wind and chop than they initially thought possible.
The Isonic 145, being wider, will of course give you earlier planing and
better light wind speed, but at your 78 Kg. (about what I weigh) I think you can get almost the same early planing with a slightly larger rig and really good technique.
Hope this helps.