Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 20th April 2008, 05:44 AM   #1
the.alchemist

Default Phantom - how the F@%k do you put in the base?

I have the Phantom 300cm board with the center daggerboard...Anyone know how to put in the mast base? I assume the threading screw goes into the hole in the plastic track right?... but how do i lock it in?
Old 20th April 2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Alchemist,
You need to go back to your dealer and have them order you a mast base/universal joint.
The base you need has a fairly "special" pin that inserts into the large hole in the mast track "car".
Starboard has them, at the distributor level, I'm reasonably sure.
If you have a lot of difficulty finding the correct pin base/universal joint, let me know.
I may be able to find a way to get you the correct part.
A regular Chinook Pin does not work. An F2 pin does not work. A BIC pin does not work. A Mistral pin does not work.
Some Exocet Kona pins sort of work.
Sorry I don't have better news, but you need the correct pin base to connect your mast base extension (on the bottom of your mast) to the Phantom.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 22nd April 2008 at 09:05 AM.
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 10:55 AM   #3
steveC

While I'm not conflicted here, I still wonder why all the European brands seem to be on different tracks here (no pun intended). One wonders why everybody wants to be different. It's not like the technology of connecting the sail assembly and board is something new and innovative. What's going on seems a bit foolish to me.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 12:05 PM   #4

Post Please refrain from foul language.

We have posting policies here....
Old 21st April 2008, 05:58 AM   #5
Unregistered

QUOTE "We have posting policies here...."

WTF? That is why he didnt write the f word in full, but hid it with different characters.
Old 21st April 2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Moderately

Post If you continue to disobey forum rules

and use foul language, including anocryms, we reserve the right to block your IP address.
Old 21st April 2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.alchemist View Post
I have the Phantom 300cm board with the center daggerboard...Anyone know how to put in the mast base? I assume the threading screw goes into the hole in the plastic track right?... but how do i lock it in?
Get the RS:X Base. Do not use the screw supplied.
Totally agree with "how the ! do you put in the base".
Moderator has not tried it.
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Unregistered,
Ummmmm..... what do you mean "do not use the screw supplied"?
Or....are you talking about some screw supplied with the NP RS-X base?
AFAIK no screw or base is supplied with the Phantom.
The entire mast track system is a "knock off" of the others I mentioned, made to a Cobra specification, and the pin is slightly different.
I had to ask Starboard HQ to get me the correct pin/universal assembly from the same supplier that made the mast track for the Phantom 301 I had last year.
Once I got the correct part, you simply insert the base and lock it down with the little black plastic actuator tab at the front of the mast track car.
Check this URL to see if you have the same board I'm familiar with:
http://2007.star-board.com/viewpage.php?page_id=33
If you have something different, then I may be incorrect, but both the Phantom and the Phantom Race proto I had last year had the same adjustable mast track, made to the Cobra specification and it required the "special" pin.
The pin for the Exocet race boards (with a sliding mast track) were the closest, but the correct part fit very nicely and was very secure.
It may indeed be the same pin set up as the RS-X Olympic board, but I did not try an RS-X base in either of the Phantoms I had.
As to "how the ?? do you put in the mast base, that's easily answered.
Get the correct pin/universal setup and then it fits just like any other board with a pin type (on the bottom, not a Euro Pin top) sliding mast track setup.
The pin bases I was supplied with came with the "special" Cobra pin on the bottom and a std. Euro pin on the top, with a WSH/Chinook/US adapter over the Euro pin on the top.
Only problem I had was the locking slider for the adapter tended to get stuck with the downhaul line if you were not careful to put the line up the back and the lock plate tab on the front.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 22nd April 2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 22nd April 2008, 05:46 PM   #9
Unregistered

Default wtf

but isnt using "F@%k " a way to be not offensive.
If you wanted to offensive you would have just written the real word.
WTF- or am I allowed to say that on the " free forums" ?
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:13 PM   #10
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Unregistered,
As a moderator on these forums, I'm fairly sure that "moderator" (#4) and "moderately" (#6) are hecklers just trying to start something (some sort of spam firefight perhaps).
If there was offense taken by one of the moderators at Starboard, they would have used
their name.
If they were really offended, they would have simply removed the thread.
The original poster could have chosen his words a little more wisely, but I doubt anyone
is truly "offended".