Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 22nd September 2006, 01:18 AM   #1
G-rider

Default S-type 93 or 104

I want to buy a S-type, but I am not sure which size to buy, a 93 or a 104. I'm 85 kg and I want to replace my AHD G-ride 59 (95litre) for this S-type. I also pown a JP Freeride 143.

I want to ride the S-type with NP sabers, 4.7/5.7/6.7. So I heared that nowadays the volume is not that important but the width of the board is (tail and rail width).

What size you you recommend?
G-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: S-type 93 or 104

Hi G-Rider,

(Hopefully soon you will change your user name to S-Rider)

Considering your rider weight and JP143 ;

~ ST104 and JP143 is typically the better quiver size spacing.
~ ST104 is a better choice if you are most often in 6.7 conditions.
~ ST93 is a better choice if you are most often on 4.7/5.7 conditions.
~ ST93 is still OK but close to practical limit with 6.7/85kg.

Please let us know if you need more info.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 11:57 AM   #3
G-rider

Yes I thought of that (changing my name into S-rider.

Most of the time I use the board in 6.7 and 5.7 conditions, from choppy water to flat water.

And is it true what I said about the volume and width??
Old 25th September 2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi (soon2B) S-rider

Yes, it's a long and complex discussion, but overall width and tail width together with volume all influence a planing board's "performance " sizing, c/w only considering absolute displacement volume.

For most situations, you should not select a board ONLY on width or ONLY on volume, rather on a more combined understanding of how all these factors will influence your (personal) situation when using the new board.

Please let us know if you would like more information on this,
or how it would relate to choosing the optimum board for you..

Cheers ~ Ian
Old 27th September 2006, 01:26 AM   #5
G-rider

Thanks, indeed, but tht means that I should try the board before buying it, and that is not always possible.

But I wil use the S-type in most conditions my 5.7 and 6.7. Only for the strong winds I'll use my 4.7.

So that means that a 104 is stil the best option??
Old 27th September 2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi G-rider,

It is always a good idea to test ride or try if possible if you've any doubt or uncertainty. But agree that is often not possible or practical, and that is one of the main drivers for offering detailed and accurate customer (potential customer) support and recommendations etc.

The on water performance size [note, not only volume based ] of these boards is actually quite close to one another, it's not a quantum gap, which actually makes the differene in selecting one over the other maybe less critical (at least in that perspective).

Considering all of the factors that seem relevent to this discussion, if 6.7m will be the focus size for the new board, then the ST104 will be choice ; if you plan to sweetspot the new board on 5.7 conditions (ie : so moreso than 6.7) - and you are comfortable using the "big sail/small board" combo then the ST93.

Obviously, there are benefits and compromise at both ends of the range/s; maybe another way to describe this is to suggest the "Sweetspots" of the boards (in your case) will be ST104 at 6.7m, ST93 at 5.7m.

One of the factors influencing the level of compromise (especially at top end) is water condition for a given wind speed/sail size; as you described conditions of choppy to flat, the "chop " factor obviously varies accordingly.

Hope this sorts it, but let us know

Cheers ~ Ian