Go Back   Starboard Forums > Kevin`s Corner

Old 1st May 2008, 12:28 AM   #1
Jared

Default Futura 155 or iSonic 150

Kevin,

I'm super excited about this year's Starboard board line up!! Here's my quick question . . .

Which board would be better for me, the Futura 155 or the iSonic 150?

I am an intermediate windsurfer. I am hoping to move closer to becoming more expert this summer, and taking my windsurfing to a much higher level. I weigh 240 pounds (109 kg). I have sailed mostly formula or formula-style boards (Bic Techno Formula and Bic Nova - 170 to 180 liters of volume).

I want to begin sailing fast with bigger sails, doing small jumps (hopefully), and work on quicker, better and smoother jibing and turning.

1. Will I still be able to uphaul either the iSonic 150 or the Futura 155 with 100% flotation/buoyancy?

2. Will I still be able to take one of these boards out in all conditions (very light winds to high winds)? I am married with 2 kids and work full time, so I go windsurfing whenever I can, regardless of the quality of the wind/weather.

3. Also, will both of these boards go upwind well, and not just beam reaching?

Thanks so much for your help! You and your brother are amazing windsurfers and I enjoy reading your columns in Windsurfing magazine!!

- Jared

Last edited by Jared; 1st May 2008 at 05:19 AM.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 08:45 AM   #2
Jared

Hi Kevin,

I know you must be super busy, but if you get time, I'd love an answer to my post, so that I can have some guidance before I make my board purchase.

Have a great summer of windsurfing!

- Jared
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 04:23 PM   #3
AlexWind

Hi, I know you're waiting for Kevin's reply but meanwhile I can try to give you some tips (just to let your post up ok? :-) )

If I were you I'd chose the Futura 155. It's a great board, very fast and I think it'll satisfy all your needs..
I think both iS and Futura would anyway give you the chance to uphaull.
Futura will give you the chance of some more jumping, and has a less technical ride to improve in jibing and a longer nose for better tacks.. (it helps..).
In stronger winds.. I dunno, with boards of this size (wide 85 for Futura and 93 for iS) it depends on rider skill and water conditions.. Maybe Futura is a bit more confortable for being narrower and less technical..
For reaching upwind, both are quite good, it depends on fin you're putting on..

Hope this helps! Bye!
AlexWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 11:22 PM   #4
Kevin Pritchard
Dream Team Member

I agree with Alex. I woud go with the Futura. It is designed just for what you are describing. Some small jumps some progressive stuff, go for it I think you will enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin Pritchard is offline   Reply With Quote