Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 2nd May 2008, 03:08 AM   #11
steveC

Hi davide,

So, I note that you bought the CA Slalom58. Looks like you're set for practically anything now.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 03:46 AM   #12
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
Hi davide,

So, I note that you bought the CA Slalom58. Looks like you're set for practically anything now.
Yep, the Kinetic Ultralight (2001) felt like a rodeo after sometime on the CA 52 (even when considering the difference in size and volume), so it was time to drop the poor monster. I tought about the Futura 101 but I just cannot trust such a width in Bay Area conditions. So CA 58 will be.

The only doubt is the Acid 74. I have been sailing a lot of Crissy recently and I still cannot really get to like the board. It is fine in its conditions, but in heavy chop something is wrong. It lifts (that might be great in waves), and it does not go well through the chop: it is quite stop and go. Who knows ... I will spend more time on it but it might get sold for Chango 82 (the Chango 65 is great in chop, but it needs steady power!) or something else, maybe a Real Wind if they update it a bit ...

Anyway, yep, I have more then I need but it is ok, at the end of the story I am probably entering my last 10-15 years of high-performance sailing, might as well do it in style.

Last edited by davide; 3rd May 2008 at 04:00 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:49 AM   #13
steveC

Hi davide,

Thanks for the response. Sorry for upsetting the theme of this thread, but I wanted to note the change, as you noted earlier that you were in the choice stage. It will be interesting to learn how things on the CA58 play out, possibly on the MS forum.

For me, I'm still waiting for my Starboard Serenity. While its new territory for me, I've been interested in working a new perspective into my game. I already have a 6 board quiver right now, but it's all planing stuff. You might say with the Serenity that I'm targeting a long range future game in older age. Might as well get all that I need to know organized well before age truly sets in.

Overall, I have to agree that style says it all.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 02:06 PM   #14
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveC View Post
Hi davide,

Thanks for the response. Sorry for upsetting the theme of this thread, but I wanted to note the change, as you noted earlier that you were in the choice stage. It will be interesting to learn how things on the CA58 play out, possibly on the MS forum.

For me, I'm still waiting for my Starboard Serenity. While its new territory for me, I've been interested in working a new perspective into my game. I already have a 6 board quiver right now, but it's all planing stuff. You might say with the Serenity that I'm targeting a long range future game in older age. Might as well get all that I need to know organized well before age truly sets in.

Overall, I have to agree that style says it all.
oh, I am sure it is ok (kidnapping the thread). My only doubt with the CA 58 is volume, I would not mind 5-6L more on paper. Otherwise ... the CA SL 52 is just quite incredible and I am pretty sure the 58 will be up there. But, yep I'll post something in a few months on the Maui Sails forum.

The serenity sounds great and it can open sailing to year around in the Bay Area ... uhm ... don't give me ideas now I need fall and winter to work on my music

Last edited by davide; 3rd May 2008 at 02:12 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 04:48 PM   #15
Egor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
at the end of the story I am probably entering my last 10-15 years of high-performance sailing, might as well do it in style.
Im in a similar position and youve just inspired me with that comment. Sod the wife Im going out guns blazing
Egor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 08:00 PM   #16
RobSwift

Default Back to Original Topic

Back to the original topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expander View Post
--

From an interview with Rossano BISIOLI, product manager at ITALICA S.p.A., one of world leader in carbon mast manufacturer (they made hi-end masts for North, Severne, Gaastra...)

(...)

Q: which is, from a technical point of view, best mast that ITALICA makes?

BISIOLI: now I want to say something that here (at ITALICA) marketing guys don't like; from my point of view, masts with a 80% percentage of carbon are the best in terms of performances, excluding masts longer than 4.90 mt.
Of course these masts have to be manufactured with pre-preg technique...

(...)
Does that statement include or exclude 4.9 meter masts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anowan View Post
from my personal experience this is true if you sail in the upper wind range of the sail, but if you tend to sail slightly "underpowered" then 100% is often better. Plus 100% masts are usually lighter, that makes the rig easier to handle in the manoeuvers, which is an important factor.
I'm not so sure that assumption i.e. lighter means easier to use is so true. There's an incremental difference between 75% and 100% although 30% are too heavy. I use anything from 55 to 100. The 100% can be somewhat unmanageable in strong, gusty winds. Being so light it can wip around like a matchstick when positioning for waterstarts.

Last edited by RobSwift; 11th September 2008 at 07:13 PM.
RobSwift is offline   Reply With Quote