Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 2nd June 2008, 03:09 PM   #11
prpa

Send a message via Skype™ to prpa

I agree,
we as a customers should get some official feedback
from the Starboard, what is their solution for a problem.

My diler also suggest me to "butcher" straps, but I took
straps from 2006 Carve model, and I am useing them.
prpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 08:46 PM   #12
Ellen Faller
Dream Team - School

Hello Afblaster,
Sorry, but neither Roger nor I work for Starboard, and are half way around the globe from headquarters so we aren't able to provide an answer to your request for info about the footstraps. They aren't my favorite either, but it was easy enough to replace them. I'd rather have a board that I like, and change the footstraps than to buy a board that had foostraps I liked but the board wasn't so good. Those a just my opinions, since you asked. Others may have other opinions.
cheers,
Ellen
Ellen Faller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:59 PM   #13
Ken

My take on the foot straps - I have an iS 111, which has the same straps. On my first 5-6 outings, I couldn't get the straps big enough for my winter booties. However, after continued use, I was able to adjust them larger so that they eventually worked well.

When I changed to my summer booties (slightly smaller than the winter ones), the straps kept getting larger (streatching), so I adjusted them smaller. Now they are just right and continue to stay at the current size.

Should we have to go through this process to get the straps set correctly? Probably not, but in time, they should work just fine. They are quick and easy to adjust, Starboard just needs to find a solution to the streatching.

Last edited by Ken; 2nd June 2008 at 10:03 PM.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 11:17 AM   #14
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi all,
As Ellen suggests here, we are not part of the Starboard organization (at least not the part that gets paid by Starboard HQ in Bangkok, Thailand) so we cannot comment "officially" for Starboard.
I will try to get someone from the "official" Starboard organization to comment here, but I suspect that they know the 2008 footstraps are causing some customers some problems.
I agree with Ken here also.
If I put in a little extra effort to get the footstraps opened up when I install them, they seem to work quite well.
As to getting Starboard to go back to 3 hole K9 Lock inserts, I'm in favor of that to help with this problem overall, but again, I have no "official" say so in these matters and if I object too strenuously, or cause too many problems/issues, I may get no support at all.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 4th June 2008 at 10:05 PM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 02:18 PM   #15
afblaster

Thank you Ellen and Roger. Any help you can give to resolve this problem is very much appreciated.

I have given up trying to use them, but I own 3 Starboards and I have had to replace all the straps,
at considerable expense, with DaKine Contour straps. This is just to be able to use my boards without having to mess with the Starboard straps each and every sailing session.

To repeat - Starboard should supply straps fit for their purpose.
afblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 03:32 PM   #16
prpa

Hi Roger
I am glad that our "voice" will reach Starboard. This is my second new
board from Starboard (Carve 2006, Futura 2008) and form company
that advice itself by "Inovation through quality" I expect only perfect product.
Old 13th June 2008, 03:56 AM   #17
prpa

I solve problem with buying QUALITY footstraps from DAKINE, model PRIMO.
Easy to adjust, stable in form, ...
Any how our older people have one visdome :
"THERE IS NO NEED TO INVENT HOT WATER .."
Old 18th June 2008, 10:41 PM   #18
Ken

prpa,

There is some merit to "THERE IS NO NEED TO INVENT HOT WATER ..". However, windsurfing has made incredible gains over the last couple of decades because of INNOVATION. I don't fault *board for trying something new, but a bit more testing before putting these straps into production would have been a good idea.

I am glad that I didn't go out and replace all my straps, because now that they are broken in, they are great.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 02:42 AM   #19
Ola_H
TEAM

I personally like the current straps a lot, but I agree they are difficult when you want to make the very big. You need to work with them a lot and then they will indeed shrink again between sessions. It's a tradeoff between easy of adjustability and some other things and the comparable DaKine strap I have on one of my boards (ProForm) behave in the same way. So, if one wants to keep the easy of adjustability, maybe it is not so easy after all. For me, since I change between boots and no boots all the time because of the different spots I sail, the adjustability. I think it would be a bad thing if we had to go back to old slow adjusting straps. But at the same time something obviously have to be done to fit you big footed guys in. I don't personally know what is being done for 09, but as Rogers says, the development guys know about the problem.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 05:20 AM   #20
Ola_H
TEAM

FYI: I sailed the 09 straps the last few days, and they indeed feel a bit bigger. You notice it immediately when mounting them that the whole strap is longer and I had to tighten it like crazy to make it fit my small foot barefoot. With the old strap I had to enlarge the strap even when sailing barefoot.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote