Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 25th April 2008, 09:14 PM   #1
ducati11

Default Futura 122 or perhaps something else

Hello all from Canada
I am new to this forum and after reading few posts I thought to myself what a good bunch of people here. So I decided to post my own question in hope to get some help .
Well this is the story ,I am from Toronto,30 years old,and 6 ft tall 180 pounds or 80 kg.I am a semi pro athlete and keep in an excellent shape. Figured these stats might help someone make a recommendation for me.
I was introduced to windsurfing last summer while vacationing in Croatia and got hooked. So I saved up and am ready to buy a package.
By doing my own research I learned a bit,but still feel a bit confused in regards to right (if there is such ) board,sails and so on for me.
Whoever is willing to help me should keep in mind that I am still a beginner ,but would like a board that I will learn and progress on as well as satisfy the speed junkie in me. I know that mastering windsurfing might take years and years,but I am willing to take a shot at it.
So if someone would be kind enought to put a nice package together as I do need everything. There is a local shop here as well as net stores all around ,but I thought to get an independent advice before talking to them.
The board I am leaning towards is futura 122(thanks youtube),but I am open to sugestions and hoping to get advice on 2 sails(I guess) and all accesories.
Thanks a lot in advance and happy surfing guys...
Marin

Last edited by ducati11; 26th April 2008 at 10:35 AM.
ducati11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 11:49 PM   #2
James

Hi Marin,

Check out this guide, and the associated body weight / board size / sail size calculator. It should resolve a lot of your questions.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/20...-answered.html

The main thing is that you probably shouldn't start with a shortboard, because unless you live in a consistently windy place, there won't be very many days that you can use it properly. A better plan would be to get a longboard that you can use in all conditions. Then when your harness, planing, footstrap, and waterstart skills are solid you can consider adding a shortboard for the windy days (but keeping the longboard for light wind).

Some examples of boards that would be good are the Starboard Rio M or L, the Exocet Kona ONE, and the RRD Longrider.

For the sails I would start with a 6.5, and then add an 8.5 or 9.0 when you're ready.

Good luck.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 01:31 AM   #3
steveC

Marin,

The Futura 122 sounds like a pretty good overall choice, but James brings up a very important point. To learn the sport requires that one start with a very stable board with substantial volume, as you will likely need to uphaul a lot in the beginning. Also, at least initially, using a board with a dagger would help you maintain your proximity to your launch site. If you attempt to learn on a board like the F122, I'm afraid that you'll risk damaging the board with the boom, mast or harness hook.

Rather than buy a new longboard or large shortboard, I would suggest trying to find a used board. Really, the condition of the board doesn't need to be that great to fulfill its temporary role in the learning process. Once you develop reasonable skills, which really doesn't take very long, you can move on to a board like the F122.

However, if the conditions in the Toronto tend to be light much of the time during the season, a good longboard could be quite useful. If that's the case, then I would look into a high quality longboard that you can maintain as part of your board quiver.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 02:12 AM   #4
SpeedyG

Default First board

Buy a used Starboard GO - 144 litres would be great. It will provide the stability you need while learning, and the performance as you progress.

I am approximately your size and weight, have a full range of gear, all the way down to a 75 litre board, and love 4.0 t0 5.0 sailing, but I use my GO more than all my other boards, and still enjoy its performance.

A 122 litre board should be the second board you buy!
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 04:07 AM   #5
ducati11

Thanks to all ... appreciate the info
Marin
ducati11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 02:04 AM   #6
Screamer

How windy is your area, where you sail most? What is your skill level at the moment, after the vacation (harness/planing/footstraps?)
F122 + 6.5 + 8.0/8.5 is a good quiver (you won't outgrow it soon and you can use your next smaller board with a 6.5), but as others have said, you may not be ready for these yet. If you have more than 10 knots consistent winds often, then go for a wide 140-150 lit shortboard. If the wind is light and holey, you'll need a daggerboard to make the most of your time on the water.

Good luck
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote