Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 30th April 2008, 12:50 AM   #11
Unregistered

effeminacy rules the market. male population emphasizes feminine part of their personalities, becomes more gently and stylish. market of "hard, powerfull and functional, performance oriented" brands as f2, north, mistral, most american brands shrinks. survives brands that has chinese, african, arabic or at the worst case italian look. the brands that talks to feminine part of man
Old 30th April 2008, 01:57 AM   #12
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
effeminacy rules the market. male population emphasizes feminine part of their personalities, becomes more gently and stylish. market of "hard, powerfull and functional, performance oriented" brands as f2, north, mistral, most american brands shrinks. survives brands that has chinese, african, arabic or at the worst case italian look. the brands that talks to feminine part of man
Wow, that's what I call an analysis.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 04:34 AM   #13
Anowan

ROTFL Ola

To Dr Doom : Bic, GunSails and Hifly are doing very very well, thanks for them
Anowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 06:00 AM   #14
Peter R

Default Hifly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anowan View Post
ROTFL Ola

To Dr Doom : Bic, GunSails and Hifly are doing very very well, thanks for them
As far as I remember: The first Hifly (which was one of the most succesfull board manufacturers in the eighties) did actually went bankrupt. The name Hifly was later bought by the present manufacturer.
Old 30th April 2008, 07:28 AM   #15
Unregistered

Talking HiFly Successfull ????

Yes if you liked sailing boards made of washing up bowls.
They were great if you wanted to drag kids about over shingle sand glass bricks etc etc.Think the term was variable rocker line.They bent quite a bit;especially in warm climes.
Sailed my mates (555; anybody else remember that !!!) and you could feel it flexing over chop/ripples.You could even look behind you and see boards vibration affecing wake ! (Really !)
They did fill a market at time though ! (Think they had first "fat head" sail too !;the 555 came with a 7.2 (unheard of those days;it was a 6.6 regatta with a "fat head" )
Couldn`t match Sailboard Sport or F2 Lightning though !
All gone now !!!????
Old 30th April 2008, 07:59 AM   #16
Philip

Ten Cate
De Vries (sails)
Bombora
Tyronsea (Australia - as a board maker)
Windrush (Australia)
Cobra (as a board brand)
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 08:17 AM   #17
Peter R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes if you liked sailing boards made of washing up bowls.
They were great if you wanted to drag kids about over shingle sand glass bricks etc etc.Think the term was variable rocker line.They bent quite a bit;especially in warm climes.
Sailed my mates (555; anybody else remember that !!!) and you could feel it flexing over chop/ripples.You could even look behind you and see boards vibration affecing wake ! (Really !)
They did fill a market at time though ! (Think they had first "fat head" sail too !;the 555 came with a 7.2 (unheard of those days;it was a 6.6 regatta with a "fat head" )
Couldn`t match Sailboard Sport or F2 Lightning though !
All gone now !!!????
I actually meant succesfull in number of boards sold (exceeding 35.000 per year). I once had a 555 myself, but they also had a epoxy line, and they were at least as sophisticated as F2 at that time - and also very succesfull in racing. By the way, aren't we a little off topic now.
Old 30th April 2008, 09:48 AM   #18
Unregistered

Waddel Sails
Seatrend
JB Sails
Obrien
Dufour
Windsurfer
UP
Berky Composites
Northshore Maui
Old 30th April 2008, 10:09 AM   #19
Unregistered

Maui sails?
Old 30th April 2008, 10:33 AM   #20
steveC

I think that poster #19 must be smoking something caustic to brain cells. Although I'm not sailing MS sails, I think that some of their products (like their carbon booms and detail components) are the benchmark in the industry.

Frankly, even though I'm light on experience with Barry Spanier's sail designs, if I was going to experiment with a different sail brand, MS would be one of my prime picks.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote