Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 10th May 2008, 02:16 AM   #41
Unregistered

Unhappy

Mark H
Look at it this way.
Which company spends most money on advertising ?
Which company has best website ?
Which company has best sailors ?
Which company has biggest sponsorship budget ?
Which company makes biggest claims ?(Read the site)
Which company has best/biggest/flashiest brochures?
Which company gets best results ??? (Sailor or board ???)
That company has got to have had loads to do with F2 going !
Old 10th May 2008, 07:28 PM   #42
mark h

Hi unreg, I kinda see where your comming from.

Probably SB to all the above (accept maybe advertising, F2 spent more on this, I think!!). All those things you'v listed are key ingredients for commercial sucess.

I still dont get how a sucessfully commercial company can be held responsible for the demise of a competing company. Its a bit like saying , General motors caused British leyland motors to go bankrupt.

During liquidation meeting, SB's name will not be qouted as one of the reasons for liquidating, but decisions made by senior management and ultimetly its directors will be questioned.

This isnt a "one horsed race" theres plenty of room for several thourough breds in this race.

Hopefully you can see where I'm comming from.

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 02:04 AM   #43
Unregistered

Yes I do see exactly where you are coming from and in world as it is now where sales through any method are deemed fine then you are perfectly correct.
If boards were bought totally on merit then picture would be different.
#B sell lifestyle.They promote their products fantastically.They get the best sailors.Their brochures are incredible.etc etc.We pay for this.
Few years ago I owned an F2 powerglide CSE. Everyone was raving over Carve.Every magazine;on here; and on the beach by those that had bought one.Yes it was good but definitely no better than PG.Infact they felt virtually same ( IMO PG probably faster and in CSE lighter.)
Carve became a "classic" ;PG was forgotten about.(Became Hornet I suppose)
Carve outsold PG 3 or 4 to 1. Why ? Because sailors believe the adverts/hype/BS etc etc.
Cant blame #B its the buying public !!
Thats what #B are great at; not necessarily making best product but achieving best sales !

I do think F2 were partly to blame for their downfall.
a) They didnt play the game so well
b) They devalued their products through hire centres .(ie year old kit available under half price and much with little use)(#B beware)

Think it should be noted their boards are equal to any anywhere.That should be enough to keep company solvent.It wasn`t !!!???
Old 11th May 2008, 05:03 AM   #44
mark h

OK, fair enough, I guess you'v put your point of view accross well & high-lights how we all take different views on stuff. No disagreements, just different feelings.

With the PWA Ulsan slalom event kicking off in a few days, does any one know if Finian M, Patrik D, Jimmy D & Karen Y will still be on F2 boards? Will the money pot being held be the appointed reciever cover their travelling expenses etc? Or will this now come out of the riders own pockets or will sail sponsors make up the difference? Or will they be on another manufactures boards?

The toys:

Old 11th May 2008, 07:18 AM   #45
Philip

Yep cosmetics are important as is the ability of companies to connect with their market. *Board is particularly adept at connecting, interacting and taking direct (public) feedback ; well this website and forum is a classic example. Then there is the question of innovation. I sailed F2 products and they were good and pace setting at times. *Board also has lots of innovation to its credit and the performance of its products and within its model line up is well understood by the market. All of this no doubt increases buyer confidence in their producet and is patently a successful business model for the times.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 10:37 PM   #46
Bill Gates

There's an implication in some of the posts that Starboard is winning the battle with an inferior product and unfair or exploitative business practices. Like Starboard is the Microsoft of windsurfing.

Interesting view.
Old 12th May 2008, 01:53 AM   #47
mark h

Mr Gates, with multi-million dollar empire taking up all of your time, its real cool that you have found 5 minutes to post your comments on this forum.

The toys:

Old 12th May 2008, 04:27 AM   #48
Unregistered

Talking Alan Sugar

Dont think anyone inferred inferior;just no better.
Old 12th May 2008, 06:07 AM   #49
mark h

Think I'd better drop out of this conversation as the likes of Bill Gates (microsoft) and Sir Alan Sugar (Amstrad) will run rings around me, Lol.

The toys:

Old 13th May 2008, 05:51 AM   #50
Unregistered

Just heard all F2 riders have resigned contracts???

Are they expecting a new buyer, and therefore signing all the top names??